RAF radar museum near Horning closes suddenly
Ed FossAn award winning Norfolk museum which has helped tell the story of the nation's air defence for more than 15 years has been forced to close suddenly after failing a fire safety inspection.Ed Foss
An award winning Norfolk museum which has helped tell the story of the nation's air defence for more than 15 years has been forced to close suddenly after failing a fire safety inspection.
The RAF Air Defence Radar Museum received a letter on Thursday breaking the news, which museum manager Doug Robb described as 'absolutely disastrous'.
The museum, which is housed on part of the former RAF Neatishead site near Horning, traces the history and development of air defence radar since its invention in 1935.
It has won several awards over the years, including the best small visitor attraction in England in the Enjoy England Awards for Excellence.
You may also want to watch:
'We had a fire inspection on Monday and the letter arrived on Thursday saying the situation was no longer acceptable,' said Mr Robb.
'We had no choice but to close.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 2 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 3 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 4 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 5 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 6 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 7 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 10 Is this the ultimate Norfolk road trip?
'I am not sure what will happen now, the figure that needs to be spent on new fire exits and so on is probably around �40,000 to �50,000.'
The building is owned by MoD Defence Estates and it their responsibility to ensure fire safety compliance, but it is understood they are reluctant to pay for any upgrades.