Public open days planned for former RAF Cotishall
Open days could be held at the former RAF Coltishall base so members of the public and business bosses can look around the 600-acre site.
The £4m deal for Norfolk County Council to buy the former Battle of Britain station was finally concluded this month after long-running negotiations.
The purchase has been controversial, with critics questioning why the council spent that much money without a business plan, but council leaders and officers have insisted the base will create a 'significant income stream'.
The council says that it is still coming up with ideas for what to do with the base, but possibilities include returning some land for farming, offering buildings to businesses and selling part of the site for housing.
Further consultation will take place with a master plan due to be drawn up in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
But, in the meantime, council bosses said they had received plenty of interest from businesses keen to set up at the former air base and are planning open days for them and for the public.
Cliff Jordan, cabinet member for efficiency at the county council, said: 'We have had a great deal of interest from local, national and international businesses since we announced our interest in buying the site.
- 1 Holkham Estate hiring warden - with tasks to include nudist beach patrol
- 2 Norfolk's Covid infection rate at lowest point for three months
- 3 Plans show how old former care home site could become housing
- 4 WATCH: Teenage girls fined after setting fire to public toilet
- 5 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
- 6 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
- 7 Cromer Pier to re-open to the public from next month
- 8 Bid to knock down care home and build houses rejected
- 9 North Norfolk clash over budget as its share of council tax is frozen
- 10 Warning over scam 'Aviva' automated cold calls
'The interest has been a steady trickle over several months and ranges from small scale commercial use to major international organisations wanting to use significant parts of the site.
'We are currently working on holding open days for businesses so they can have a good look around the former base to get a better understanding of what might be available to them.
'We are also planning to hold open days for members of the public over the coming months.'
The county council is inviting people to suggest ideas by emailing FutureofRAFColtishall@norfolk.gov.uk