Police seek witnesses to tragic accident
A teenager was killed - falling from a lorry driven by an Aylsham man - after what appears to be a youthful prank ended in tragedy.The 18-year-old died after falling from a Mercedes lorry between the Thickthorn roundabout and the Ketteringham junction at Station Lane at around 3.
A teenager was killed - falling from a lorry driven by an Aylsham man - after what appears to be a youthful prank ended in tragedy.
The 18-year-old died after falling from a Mercedes lorry between the Thickthorn roundabout and the Ketteringham junction at Station Lane at around 3.15am on Friday.
It is believed he had climbed on to the outside of the vehicle with another youth at the inner ring road close to the junction with Unthank Road in Norwich.
Officers are keen to speak to anybody who saw what happened and are also looking for a third man they think was in the Unthank Road area at the time.
You may also want to watch:
Police are still trying to work out why the pair were travelling on the outside of the lorry and whether the accident was a prank that went tragically wrong.
Accident investigators spent several hours at the scene, with the road finally opened at 8.30am.
- 1 Converted bungalow with 'wonderful' woodland views for sale
- 2 'We sold one book' - Bookshop owners on a year of highs and lows
- 3 'Anything is possible': 21-year-old uses lockdown to launch business
- 4 £2m for 62 new homes as council boss calls residential care a 'last resort'
- 5 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 6 Craft exhibition moves after losing its home to new bakery
- 7 Full steam ahead for the Marsham Show 2021, say organisiers
- 8 Memorial to victims of Covid-19 unveiled
- 9 All-terrain wheelchairs come to north Norfolk beaches
- 10 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
Insp Darren Peacock, from the Wymondham Road Policing unit, said: “It's far too early to say whether it was a prank or not. All we know at this moment in time is that he fell. This is very sad and highlights the dangers of messing with lorries.
“The main thrust of our inquiry is to find witnesses.”
Details of the youth, who is from the Norwich area, will not be released until next of kin have been informed and formal identification has taken place. Police are also talking to the other youngster, who is said to be traumatised by what happened.
The other young male and the driver of the vehicle, a 59-year-old man from the Aylsham area, were both uninjured.
Witnesses are urged to contact Sgt John Tobin at Wymondham Road Policing Unit on 0845 456 4567.