Playtime comes early at Sheringham nursery
A nursery school in Sheringham is one of a number of groups across north Norfolk to benefit from our Community Chest campaign this month.
Ladybird Pre-school will receive £250 towards re-surfacing an outside play area with an impact absorbing surface.
Eighty organisations, from every corner of our region, have been given a share of £19,150 this week. Grants range from £100 to £500 and are being distributed among non-profit groups which collected tokens throughout February.
As with the previous month, our 'dragons' – who decide which groups receive the money – have given away more cash than expected: an additional £7,000. The Community Chest campaign, in association with the Norfolk Community Foundation, has now handed out more than £62,000 since it was launched.
Nigel Pickover, editor-in-chief of our sister title Eastern Daily Press and one of our dragons, said: 'Month two of Community Chest saw more than 200 applications for grants – and our 'dragons' supported some 80 applications with contributions. There's a huge cry for help from our communities and we're delighted to be able to help in some way. Month three is now well under way and we want many more applications this time so keep collecting your tokens. There's another big chance to get some cash.'
You may also want to watch:
The beneficiaries can be found on the map and those that were unsuccessful will receive a 50-token ticket to begin their next submission.
Unsuccessful applicants are also welcome to apply again next month.
- 1 Gresham's School to erect 25 blue plaques for famous former pupils
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 New £4.85m cancer centre will make life 'easier'
- 4 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 5 Last chance to own historic items as town hall goes under offer
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 8 Shepherdess shocked as lamb fetches £1,752 at charity auction
- 9 Study asks: 'What makes this town special?'
- 10 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
For more about the campaign, visit www.edp24.co.uk/communitychest