Affordable homes plan for Norfolk village receives 100 objections
- Credit: Archant
Controversial plans for affordable homes in a north Norfolk village received 100 letters of objection.
But councillors are still recommended to approve a slightly amended proposal next week.
Knapton Parish Council called an urgent meeting last month to discuss Victory Housing Trust's plans for the new homes on the Millennium Field in the middle of the village - the land is owned by North Norfolk District Council (NNDC).
The trust had wanted to build 16 homes there, but revised down its plans to just 14, leaving some open space at the Hall Lane end of the site. The existing car park on the site is to be retained for use by the village hall.
The field is a popular spot for walkers, and the site contains a number of trees planted in the memory of loved ones, as part of a project going back to 1999.
Alongside the 100 objections, there were seven comments and one in favour of the original plans.
Objectors said it had not been demonstrated that there was a local housing need for the village, which already had inadequate services and facilities. The parish council objected and said the village could not support a development of that scale.
- 1 New car boot to take place monthly after early success
- 2 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 3 Will new lease mean a new surface for this pothole-riddled carpark?
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 7 Norfolk train station features as 'pointless' answer on BBC TV show
- 8 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 9 Lifeboat rescues seasick crew on struggling 45ft cruiser
- 10 Spitfire to soar over north Norfolk for jubilee
Peter Kaye, vice-chairman of the parish council, said after April's meeting that the plans received a rousing thumbs-down from residents.
He said the new plans differed only in that they had reduced the number of properties to be built from 16 to 14.
He said: 'They have not addressed any of our other objections associated with this development.
'The view of residents did not change. They are all unanimous in agreeing that the development, as proposed, is unsuitable for Knapton. We are in agreement that affordable housing should go-ahead here but not on the scale envisaged by Victory Housing.'
The application will be discussed by NNDC's development committee on Thursday, May 17.
The plans are recommended for approval subject to the completion of a section 106 agreement to secure the provision of affordable housing.
A spokesman for Victory Housing Trust said it would not comment ahead of the meeting.