Planners oppose hotel marquee plan
A function marquee at a north Norfolk hotel has fallen foul of officials because of the traffic danger extra guests could cause.Elderton Lodge at Thorpe Market between North Walsham and Cromer wants to site the 21m by 9m marquee next to the hotel for 30 functions between March and October.
A function marquee at a north Norfolk hotel has fallen foul of officials because of the traffic danger extra guests could cause.
Elderton Lodge at Thorpe Market between North Walsham and Cromer wants to site the 21m by 9m marquee next to the hotel for 30 functions between March and October.
A plan to put a concrete base down for a marquee four years ago was turned down because it spoiled the main hotel building listed for its architectural quality.
Officials were prepared to grant a temporary permission, but say in a report that the marquee, which had been in use for a number of years, now remained up for longer periods having previously been erected and dismantled when required,
There had also been complaints about noise, but steps were under way to move louder disco music into the hotel conservatory and have just background music in the marquee with a noise limiter fitted.
But North Norfolk District Council's east area development committee is being recommended to refuse the plans on Thursday because of objections from Norfolk County Council highways officials.
- 1 Sainsbury's moves to quash rumour of till closures at Norfolk store
- 2 Public toilets in north Norfolk 'swamped' by campervan waste
- 3 Village pub reopening after £200k refurbishment
- 4 Banking counter to open after town's last branch closes
- 5 New chef brings taste of the Med to town cafe
- 6 Competition offers free week at Cromer beach chalet
- 7 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 8 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 9 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 10 Bird watchers set to flock to Norfolk quarry after rare bee-eaters spotted
They say visibility at the hotels access road is poor, and the plan for 100 sit down guests, and more than 150 at buffets, could increase potentially hazardous slowing, stopping and turning movements on a road which had 16 personal injury accidents, including one fatal, over a five year period.