Search

Warning after palm oil toxic to dogs spotted on north Norfolk beach

PUBLISHED: 16:56 02 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:14 03 October 2018

Jake, who got sick earlier this year after eating palm oil washed up on the beach. Picture: Tessa Bickerstaff.

Jake, who got sick earlier this year after eating palm oil washed up on the beach. Picture: Tessa Bickerstaff.

Tessa Bickerstaff.

UPDATE: The National Trust has now confirmed the deposits were peat and “nothing to worry about”. Read an update to this story here.

Dog owners have been warned about deposits of palm oil which have been washed up on the beach at Brancaster in north Norfolk. The National Trust has reported the substance, which is poisonous to dogs, has been spotted on the beach.

Palm oil deposits were found on several north Norfolk beaches earlier this year, and left some dogs critically ill.

The Norfolk Coast National Trust said on social media: “We have had reports of potential palm oil deposits washing up on Brancaster Beach. We are currently investigating but dog owners please be aware and do not allow your dog to pick up and eat anything off the beach. We will update later.”

One dog called Jake, a Jack Russell mix, contracted pancreatitis having consumed an amount of palm oil which had washed up during sea storms.

A lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve WalkerA lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve Walker

He and his owner had recently visited Sea Palling and Cromer beaches.

At the time, Dr Andrew Turner, from the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science said: “Simple precautions should be followed to ensure that pets and people do not eat anything they find on the beach.”

This may include keeping a closer eye on dogs on the beach, or muzzling those who may try to eat washed up fish.

MORE: “I wouldn’t want anyone to go through what I’ve been through”: Owner’s heartbreak after dog consumes palm oil on Norfolk beach.

Vet Walter Stohr with some palm oil that has been washed up beaches.  The oil causes harm to animals. Picture: NICK BUTCHERVet Walter Stohr with some palm oil that has been washed up beaches. The oil causes harm to animals. Picture: NICK BUTCHER

MORE: Oil which is toxic to dogs washed up on north Norfolk beaches

































































Other popular content

A plane which was seriously damaged at a Cromer airfield crash-landed due to a fault with its tyre valve, an air accident report has determined.

Firefighters helped rescue a cat which was stuck on a roof in north Norfolk.

Yesterday, 10:49

A Norfolk pub has been included in the 2019 Top 50 GastroPubs for the first time.

One in every five recycling trucks in Norfolk is contaminated as people are putting the “wrong things” in their bins, councils have warned.

Most Read

A plane which was seriously damaged at a Cromer airfield crash-landed due to a fault with its tyre valve, an air accident report has determined.

Read more
Nottingham

Firefighters helped rescue a cat which was stuck on a roof in north Norfolk.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:49

A Norfolk pub has been included in the 2019 Top 50 GastroPubs for the first time.

Read more
United Kingdom

One in every five recycling trucks in Norfolk is contaminated as people are putting the “wrong things” in their bins, councils have warned.

Read more
Great Yarmouth Borough Council
Yesterday, 15:42

A Norfolk man has been given a two-year sentence for molesting a teenage girl while they watched a film with his family in the room.

Read more
Ipswich Crown Court

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 2°C

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Norfolk News e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

North Norfolk News weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy