Former theatre duo's new venture gets tails wagging
- Credit: Supplied by Wendy Metcalfe
Two women have moved onto a new stage after being made redundant from their roles at a north Norfolk theatre.
Wendy Metcalfe, 65, and Claire Miller, 62, both fron Holt, have launched a pet and home-sitting business called House and Hound.
Mrs Metcalfe was previously the theatre manager at Gresham's School's Auden Theatre for eight years, and Ms Miller was the box office manager at the venue, where she had worked for 19 years.
Mrs Metcalfe said: "We were disappointed to have been made redundant but theatres have taken a big blow. We'd been furloughed for over a year and we knew this might possibly happen.
"I am definitely going to miss it, I'll miss the staff room banter. But we've got our heads around it now. The school has to think of its pupils."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Metcalfe said the idea of starting a business was one they had bubbling away in the backs of their minds for quite some time.
She said: "I met Claire about eight years and we're both animals lovers so it's something that came up in conversations we'd had over the years. We just hadn't intended on doing it this early.
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 5 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 6 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 7 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 8 Roadworks cause traffic chaos in north Norfolk town
- 9 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 10 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
"We are both very positive and proactive people and so we decided that now was the time to start up our business. It’s a complete change but we both love animals and are experienced pet owners so it seemed the ideal path."
Mrs Metcalfe said they had been busy arranging specialist insurance, acquiring licences and DBS checks and undertaking a pet first aid course.
She said they were hoping an expected strong summer season for staycations would give their new business a boost.
For more information, visit their Facebook or Instagram pages or email them at email@example.com