‘Affordable housing application should have passed’
- Credit: Archant
Everyone agrees there's a need for social housing, so I read with dismay that the North Norfolk District Council planning committee have refused a planning application from Victory Housing in Southrepps.
Southrepps has a great pub, a local shop, post office, super primary school, and subsidised bus links.
I've seen the shocking state of some privately rented properties in our villages, where families are trapped in poor conditions due to the lack of responsible social housing, and this planning refusal means that families are consigned to poor living conditions with no prospect of decent living standards.
The Antingham and Southrepps Primary School is a lovely little school, but has seen dwindling numbers in recent years.
Without social housing, families are unable to afford to buy or rent privately in the village. So without children, what is the future for the village school?
MORE: Plans for 20 new homes in north Norfolk village are refused by councilIf the village school goes, the village becomes a retirement village, what would go next, the shop? Bus routes are supported for a variety of reasons, families commuting to work, older children going to other schools out of the village.
You may also want to watch:
I'm sure there's a compromise in this planning application somewhere, but, please, open up your hearts to families in need, support the village by looking to the future for the village school, the shop, the post office and the continued need for subsidy of the bus links.
- 1 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 2 Police investigation into Thorpe Market death 'ongoing'
- 3 Tributes to 'true gentleman' from well-known Cromer family
- 4 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 5 Has north Norfolk started its Christmas shopping early?
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 7 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 8 Plaque unveiled in memory of 'passionate' railway volunteer
- 9 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 10 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor