NSPCC praises victims for speaking out after Norfolk man jailed for sexual offences
- Credit: Archant
A children's charity has praised the victims for speaking out after an 86-year-old man was jailed for 12 years for a string of historical sexual offences against three girls.
Ivan West, of The Fairstead in Cley, was convicted of nine offences of indecent assault and one of gross indecency following a four-day trial at Norwich crown court last month.
The charges related to abuse, which took place between 1972 and 1981 at addresses in Buxton and Hevingham.
An NSPCC spokeswoman said: 'West probably thought he'd long got away with his horrific crimes, for which he has shown no remorse by denying all the charges against him.
'The awful experiences his victims suffered have no doubt had a long-lasting impact on their lives, so their bravery in speaking out against their abuser is exceptional.
'Any child who needs help and support can contact ChildLine 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on 0800 1111 or by visitingwww.childline.org.uk.'
You may also want to watch:
West was sentenced on June 1 and given an extended licence period of one year.
Investigating officer, Detective Constable Charmaine Morton, said: 'I would like to commend the victims for the courage they have shown throughout this lengthy investigation.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 10 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
'Although these offences were committed many years ago, this verdict and sentence shows that no matter how long ago an offence or offences took place, we will carry out a full and thorough investigation to ensure those responsible are brought to justice.
'We have dedicated officers who are specially trained to undertake difficult and emotive investigations on a daily basis.
'We would urge anyone who has been abused or sexually assaulted to come forward, safe in the knowledge that Norfolk Constabulary, together with our partners within child protection, will provide help and support, and do all we can to identify, charge and bring those responsible before the courts.'