Through the decades at Roys - ‘The world’s largest village store’
- Credit: Archant
Reporter SABRINA JOHNSON winds back the clock for a stroll through the decades at a famous Broads business.
Roys started life in 1895 when brothers Alfred and Arnold Roy opened their first general store in Coltishall.
The store was such a hit that within four years the brothers had opened a second and third store, the last of which became the company's Wroxham store, and the premises which launched the Roys of Wroxham name.
The perfect location for holiday makers on their way to Cromer, the Wroxham location also allowed the brothers to capitalise on the growing trend for boating on the Norfolk Broads.
In the interwar years the Roys business flourished, expanding into tailoring, boots and shoes, drapery, millinary, pharmacy, ironmongery, furniture, carpets and a motor garage.
You may also want to watch:
The business even provided Wroxham's first streetlights and public toilets.
In 1930s the business relocated its headquarters to Wroxham, which around the same time earned the title of 'Capital of the Broads' which helped the store to win the title of the 'The World's Largest Village Store'.
- 1 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
- 2 Holkham Estate hiring warden - with tasks to include nudist beach patrol
- 3 Cromer Pier to re-open to the public from next month
- 4 Plans show how old former care home site could become housing
- 5 'Travel bible' names Norfolk beaches in list of UK's best
- 6 Bid to knock down care home and build houses rejected
- 7 School to test 150 pupils for Covid a day during March re-opening
- 8 'Unsatisfactory and dangerous situation' - Man frustrated by unlit roadwork
- 9 Student died after crashing car into a tree, inquest hears
- 10 WATCH: Teenage girls fined after setting fire to public toilet