Through the decades at Roys - ‘The world’s largest village store’
- Credit: Archant
Reporter SABRINA JOHNSON winds back the clock for a stroll through the decades at a famous Broads business.
Roys started life in 1895 when brothers Alfred and Arnold Roy opened their first general store in Coltishall.
The store was such a hit that within four years the brothers had opened a second and third store, the last of which became the company's Wroxham store, and the premises which launched the Roys of Wroxham name.
The perfect location for holiday makers on their way to Cromer, the Wroxham location also allowed the brothers to capitalise on the growing trend for boating on the Norfolk Broads.
In the interwar years the Roys business flourished, expanding into tailoring, boots and shoes, drapery, millinary, pharmacy, ironmongery, furniture, carpets and a motor garage.
The business even provided Wroxham's first streetlights and public toilets.
In 1930s the business relocated its headquarters to Wroxham, which around the same time earned the title of 'Capital of the Broads' which helped the store to win the title of the 'The World's Largest Village Store'.
- 1 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 2 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 3 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 4 Business park plan could bring 14 new jobs to North Walsham
- 5 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee
- 6 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 7 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
- 8 Race on to save incredible medieval wall paintings in Norfolk
- 9 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 10 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single