Nostalgic East: Winding back the clock in the gorgeous ‘Georgian’ town of Holt
And as part of a Nostalgic East series running in the Eastern Daily Press, REBECCA MACNAUGHTON looks back at days gone by in the north Norfolk town of Holt.
The quintessentially English town of Holt may be famous throughout Norfolk for its Georgian buildings, but the history of the place dates further back than Georgian times.
A large amount of grand shops and houses that stand to this day were built after a large portion of the medieval town was burnt down in a fire in 1708.
Being a town filled with old buildings, the honour of being the very oldest is certainly a title worth shouting about. Byfords is believed to be the oldest building in Holt, with its cellar dating back to the 15th century. It has survived two fires, the aforementioned blaze in 1708 and another in 1906.
In more modern times the town is known for its large array of local shops and the Shell Museum in Glandford, which is a real highlight of North Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
We have a variety of pictures of Holt through the decades here, including a quite brilliant one of a clan of Morris dancers in the town centre in 1984.
We also see various shots of the town centre, alongside the moving of a signal box in 1966 and some very well dressed kids at a fancy dress display in 1982.
- 1 Police condemn 'blatant' lockdown breaches as 160 fined
- 2 'We can't tolerate breaches' - Council gives Covid warnings to takeaways
- 3 100 cannabis plants found at three neighbouring properties in village
- 4 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 5 Bid to replace bungalow near railway line with five new homes refused
- 6 Destructive stink bugs could be heading for Norfolk
- 7 Village pub opens shop to fill lockdown gap
- 8 'Not in a religious village!' - Residents' shock at drug squad swoop
- 9 'Travel bible' names Norfolk beaches in list of UK's best
- 10 Full list: £715,000 to be spent to make 113 Norfolk roads safer
Did you know?
On August 19, 1968 two Royal Air Force aircraft collided in the air above Holt after an electrical storm disabled the planes' radar. A memorial stone hangs inside Saint Andrew's Church dedicated to the accident.