Seventh heaven as Norwich United overcome Sheringham in Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
Norwich United avoided a potential Norfolk Senior Cup banana skin at a rainy and windswept Weybourne Road as they came from behind to eventually win 7-1 against a spirited Sheringham side.
Sheringham started with the strong wind at their backs and they took the lead after just 10 minutes when Billy Johnson failed to hold a low skidding shot from Ben Boyce and Chris Fuller was on hand to shoot home.
The Planters were behind for 12 minutes, a long ball forward found Liam Jackson who put Tim Henery in down the right and his cutback found Adam Hipperson who netted at the far post.
The Planters could have gone in at half-time in front but one move saw the ball twice rebound off the Shannocks crossbar.
Six minutes after the interval the deadlock was broken Tim Henery sliding in Jackson who fired under the keeper from an acute angle on the right.
Thomas Dade doubled the lead with a shot from 25 yards that flew in off the far post in the 57th minute, to notch his first goal for the club.
Two minutes later and things went from bad to worse for the Shannocks when Boyce was shown a straight red by referee Richard Owen.
- 1 Bin collection days to change for north Norfolk
- 2 Levelling Up bids submitted for pair of Norfolk towns
- 3 North Norfolk village road bridge to undergo repairs after crash
- 4 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 5 Lioness star Lauren Hemp enjoys return of hometown beer festival
- 6 Olivia Colman donates Disney bench to Norfolk youth charity
- 7 Two 'exhausted' women rescued after being found clinging to dinghy
- 8 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 9 Hundreds turn out to see Lionesses star Lauren Hemp given freedom of town
- 10 Stargazers' excitement builds ahead of Perseid meteor shower
The Planters then took full advantage of the man advantage when in the 66th minute Hipperson scoring his second direct from a free kick just outside the area.
In the 72nd minute Jackson scored his second of the night poking home from close range after the hosts failed to clear a corner.
Nine minutes from time substitute Sonny Carey's shot was touched home by Sam Watts and the Planters completed the scoring two minutes later when Nathan Stewart fired home from 20 yards.
Sheringham: Cruickshank, Hislop, Sands (Belton 77), Halliday, Cox, Balls (R Davies 61), Nelson, Boyce, Fuller, Cary (A Davies 74), Crane. Unused subs:Bamford, Price.
Planters: Johnson, Probert, Dade, Applegate (Crosby 67), Wones, Watts, T Henery (Mokake 72), Jones, Stewart, Jackson, Hipperson (Carey 71). Unused sub: Cooper.
Referee: Richard Owen. Assistants: David Lewiss & Adrian George.