Costa Coffee hopes to open new branch in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
Another Norfolk town looks like it is about to get its first branch of Costa Coffee.
A franchisee of the UK's largest coffee shop chain has put in the paperwork to convert a central premises in North Walsham into a new cafe.
Scoffs Group, which has been running Costa outlets across London, Essex Norfolk and Suffolk for the past four years - has applied to convert 35 and 36 Market Place from a vacant retail shop to a mixed-class coffee shop.
The premises is next to CD Page Tobacconist and Confectioners, and it used to be the Kitale School Uganda charity shop. Before that, it was an off-licence.
The two address used to be linked by an internal doorway, but Scoffs Group plans to make over the interior to create one large space consisting of a seating area for 26 people and counter section.
The shop would include a wheelchair-accessible toilet and baby change facilities.
Jason Cotta, Costa's managing director and committee member of the Future High Streets Forum, said: 'Coffee shops have effectively become more than just a place to enjoy a hot drink.
- 1 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 2 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 3 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 4 WATCH: Stunning moment thousands of geese take flight over nature reserve
- 5 Retired nurse took her own life, inquest hears
- 6 Two new community clubs launched by mum from Holt
- 7 First look inside north Norfolk's new £12.7m leisure centre
- 8 Heritage line’s general manager to retire after 40 years in the rail industry
- 9 WATCH: Dashcam footage shows near miss between deer and two cars
- 10 Have your say on Glaven Valley conservation area plans
'They play an integral role in terms of the social and economic development of the high street - from employment opportunities to providing friendly community meeting hubs.'
It will be up to North Norfolk District Council to approve of reject the application. The planning documents can be viewed online at www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/section/planning, search for PF/18/0009
Do you think North Walsham would benefit from a Costa? Email your views to NNN.Letters@Archant.co.uk