Costa Coffee hopes to open new branch in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
Another Norfolk town looks like it is about to get its first branch of Costa Coffee.
A franchisee of the UK's largest coffee shop chain has put in the paperwork to convert a central premises in North Walsham into a new cafe.
Scoffs Group, which has been running Costa outlets across London, Essex Norfolk and Suffolk for the past four years - has applied to convert 35 and 36 Market Place from a vacant retail shop to a mixed-class coffee shop.
The premises is next to CD Page Tobacconist and Confectioners, and it used to be the Kitale School Uganda charity shop. Before that, it was an off-licence.
The two address used to be linked by an internal doorway, but Scoffs Group plans to make over the interior to create one large space consisting of a seating area for 26 people and counter section.
You may also want to watch:
The shop would include a wheelchair-accessible toilet and baby change facilities.
Jason Cotta, Costa's managing director and committee member of the Future High Streets Forum, said: 'Coffee shops have effectively become more than just a place to enjoy a hot drink.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 2 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 3 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 4 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 7 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 10 Is this the ultimate Norfolk road trip?
'They play an integral role in terms of the social and economic development of the high street - from employment opportunities to providing friendly community meeting hubs.'
It will be up to North Norfolk District Council to approve of reject the application. The planning documents can be viewed online at www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/section/planning, search for PF/18/0009
Do you think North Walsham would benefit from a Costa? Email your views to NNN.Letters@Archant.co.uk