Costa Coffee hopes to open new branch in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
Another Norfolk town looks like it is about to get its first branch of Costa Coffee.
A franchisee of the UK's largest coffee shop chain has put in the paperwork to convert a central premises in North Walsham into a new cafe.
Scoffs Group, which has been running Costa outlets across London, Essex Norfolk and Suffolk for the past four years - has applied to convert 35 and 36 Market Place from a vacant retail shop to a mixed-class coffee shop.
The premises is next to CD Page Tobacconist and Confectioners, and it used to be the Kitale School Uganda charity shop. Before that, it was an off-licence.
The two address used to be linked by an internal doorway, but Scoffs Group plans to make over the interior to create one large space consisting of a seating area for 26 people and counter section.
You may also want to watch:
The shop would include a wheelchair-accessible toilet and baby change facilities.
Jason Cotta, Costa's managing director and committee member of the Future High Streets Forum, said: 'Coffee shops have effectively become more than just a place to enjoy a hot drink.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 5 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 6 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 7 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 9 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 10 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
'They play an integral role in terms of the social and economic development of the high street - from employment opportunities to providing friendly community meeting hubs.'
It will be up to North Norfolk District Council to approve of reject the application. The planning documents can be viewed online at www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/section/planning, search for PF/18/0009
Do you think North Walsham would benefit from a Costa? Email your views to NNN.Letters@Archant.co.uk