Costa Coffee hopes to open new branch in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
Another Norfolk town looks like it is about to get its first branch of Costa Coffee.
A franchisee of the UK's largest coffee shop chain has put in the paperwork to convert a central premises in North Walsham into a new cafe.
Scoffs Group, which has been running Costa outlets across London, Essex Norfolk and Suffolk for the past four years - has applied to convert 35 and 36 Market Place from a vacant retail shop to a mixed-class coffee shop.
The premises is next to CD Page Tobacconist and Confectioners, and it used to be the Kitale School Uganda charity shop. Before that, it was an off-licence.
The two address used to be linked by an internal doorway, but Scoffs Group plans to make over the interior to create one large space consisting of a seating area for 26 people and counter section.
The shop would include a wheelchair-accessible toilet and baby change facilities.
Jason Cotta, Costa's managing director and committee member of the Future High Streets Forum, said: 'Coffee shops have effectively become more than just a place to enjoy a hot drink.
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 5 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 6 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 7 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 8 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 9 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
'They play an integral role in terms of the social and economic development of the high street - from employment opportunities to providing friendly community meeting hubs.'
It will be up to North Norfolk District Council to approve of reject the application. The planning documents can be viewed online at www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/section/planning, search for PF/18/0009
Do you think North Walsham would benefit from a Costa? Email your views to NNN.Letters@Archant.co.uk