Scams, plants and pets are all on the programme at ‘Big Bash’ event
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Community members will be able to find out about everything from keeping pets to growing plants at an upcoming North Walsham Big Bash event.
Almost 50 organisations will be represented at the Saturday, May 18 event, which is designed as a fun way to find out about new opportunities and useful services.
Paul Robinson, secretary of the group Think Carer, said: "Our members said they wanted to find out what is going on in the town, but didn't want to be bored.
"So the Big Bash will create a great atmosphere in which people can meet, share information, have some fun and talk about their hopes for the future of North Walsham.
"We especially hope people who feel a bit isolated, lonely or are new to the town come along and find a warm welcome and some new opportunities."
Attendees will be able to take part in workshops covering topics such as: Learning day-to-day first aid and life saving skills; managing your mental health in a positive way; growing plants from seeds and cuttings; helping you understand and manage your sleep better and capturing memories in sound and music to aid the memory of people with dementia.
There will be presentations from Norfolk Against Scams Partnership on what to look out for and how to keep safe and a demonstration for anyone considering volunteering with their dog for the National Pets as Therapy Charity.
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 3 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 4 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 7 Students get set for A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 8 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 9 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 10 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
There will also be two workshops especially for women: a relaxation programme to switch off busy minds and ease anxiety and a session to develop self-confidence, identify skills and undertake a career aptitude test.
North Norfolk Volunteer Hub will offer a wide range of volunteering opportunities for different ages, and North Walsham Community Shop will advise and support community groups on how to make a successful application to them for funding.
A Big Bash poetry competition will be launched on the theme 'North Walsham and Me', with prizes donated by Jarrolds Cromer.
North Walsham Town Council and the town's Community Shop are funding the event.
The event runs from 1.30pm to 4.30pm at North Walsham Library and Community Centre, for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.