Step back in time at archive photographs exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Fascinating archive photographs of a Norfolk town will agian be on show, plus a scale model of a sorely missed area, at an annual popular event.
The North Walsham and District Community Archive group will be displaying old photographs from the history of the town at the Atrium.
The new exhibition will feature prints of recently discovered photographs collected as a result of the group's Facebook group which boasts over 6,500 members.
A wonderful scale model of the former Ship Yard in the 1950s, which was created by Richard Crossley, will be on display, alongside a large copy of the Pubs of North Walsham map. This features every known pub in the town's history, and includes extensive research into all the landlords and landladies carried out by Mary Seward.
Group chairman Wayne Beauchamp said: "The success of the group has allowed us access to the extensive collections of local photographers such as Fred Mace, Les Edwards and Geoffrey Humphry.
You may also want to watch:
"And to the archives of the North Walsham Historical Society, collections from renowned historians and Archive group members Mike Ling, Brian Hedge and David Ling, as well as many private collections shared by the generous and enthusiastic members of the public.
"As always, we will have facilities on site for providing a 'while-you-wait' service to capture any interesting additions to the archive that visitors may bring along.
- 1 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 4 Refusal recommended for firm's shipping container
- 5 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 6 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 7 Own a piece of paradise: One acre willow plantation for sale
- 8 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 9 Tributes paid to Lord Robert Walpole who has died aged 82
- 10 Bullying claims and defamation payments on agenda for special meeting
"In the past this has been a highly successful way of growing the archive and the group is grateful for any contributions."
Barry Holden will again be presenting his collection of 'Then and Now' photographs. He has taken images from the archive group and revisited the spots where the photos were taken to re-photograph them today. He will display them side-by-side to give everyone a clear understanding of past layouts of the town.
The archive group is a non-profit organisation run by volunteers.
See www.facebook.com/groups/NorthWalshamArchive/ and visit www.northwalshamarchive.co.uk/The exhibition will be open from Thursday, August 8 to Saturday, August 10, between 10am and 4pm, in The Atrium Gallery, Spenser Avenue, North Walsham. Entry fee is £1 donation.