North Walsham and Aylsham set for funding boost after being named as Portas town partners
Two North Norfolk towns are set to get a cash boost to help revitalise their centres.
Aylsham and North Walsham have been named as Portas town team partners by the government and receive the cash boost as part of high profile campaign inspired by retail guru Mary Portas.
The towns had been left disappointed in May when they missed out on the chance to get �100,000 to help revitalise their high streets by becoming Portas town pilot towns.
After May's announcement towns were then encouraged to bid for the chance of getting the �10,000 funding - leading to the successful Aylsham and North Walsham bids.
Deborah Blake, chairman of the newly formed Aylsham and Business Enterprise Forum, said they were overjoyed and that the money would be put towards a master plan for regenerating town, including improving road surfaces.
You may also want to watch:
North Walsham Town Team Steering Group, who lead the Portas bid, have revealed the �10,000 will be used to take forward town centre ideas, including new specialist markets, festivals and campaigns that are being worked up by a local partnership group of businesses, voluntary and community sector and local councils.
Mair Stockdale, chair of the town's chamber of trade said: 'We are excited to hear about this reward for our efforts. This will mean a lot to the traders and shoppers in the town.'
- 1 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 2 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 5 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 6 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 7 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 10 Is this the ultimate Norfolk road trip?