North Norfolk village looks set to keep its post office
A north Norfolk village looks set to keep its post office.
Post Office Ltd is holding a consultation on its proposal to relocate Overstrand Post Office, currently at 44 High Street, to 36 High Street, which is Central Stores.
When sub-postmasters John and Aindrea Withnall announced their retirement after 23 years at the helm of the post office, there were worries no one would be found to fill their shoes.
The post office had been due to close temporarily on November 18, sparking fears in the village that it would never reopen, but the couple delayed their retirement to give time for a successor to step in and save his village from losing its post office.
Now, it looks as though there will still be a post office in the village, just 50 yards away from where it currently is.
You may also want to watch:
Byron Ratcliffe, the current owner of Central Stores, said they were selling the store and the new people taking it over had put in an application to also include the post office within the shop.
The person taking it over is Michael Maher, the current sub-postmaster at Blofield Heath Post Office, Woodbastwick Road, Blofield.
- 1 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 2 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 5 Hotel's bid for nine holiday lodges 'to compete with Airbnb'
- 6 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 7 Listed townhouse with 'most stunning' features is for sale for £595,000
- 8 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 9 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 10 Sea sponge given name with a Norfolk twist
He said he intended to continue to run the post office at Blofield alongside the service at Overstrand.
A Post Office spokesman said: 'Our priority is to safeguard Post Office services to the local community in the longer term. The relocation of Overstrand Post Office allows us to maintain access to Post Office services.'
They said the new post office would have a brand new modern purpose built serving counter and level access with a wide door.
There will also be a hearing loop and space for a wheelchair.
The same range of services will be available, with the post office open hours extended to include lunchtimes. It will be open from Monday - Friday from 9am - 5.30pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm.
The consultation closes on Monday, February 7. Submissions can be made during the consultation by post to Post Office Ltd, c/o National Consultation Team, PO Box 2060, WATFORD WD18 8ZW, via email to email@example.com, via the Customer Helpline: 08457 22 33 44 or Textphone 08457 22 33 55.