North Norfolk’s Shop Local Winners
Looking to start the New Year with a bang are North Norfolk's three Shop Local winners.
The Shop Local campaign was launched in October with the aim of encouraging people to think of local traders this festive season, and over the weeks gathered great momentum, with its own Twitter page and Shop Local for Christmas dedicated Facebook page set up.
As well as highlighting some of the superb, unique gifts and services available in our local towns from independent retailers, the campaign also included advice from experts, explaining exactly why it is vital we all support our local shops, and useful information to help people do more of their Christmas shopping locally.
To be in with a chance of winning, local people were asked to pick up a Shop Local 'passport' from stores displaying the Shop Local sign, then when they spent �10 or more in a participating shop, they received a stamp on their 'passport'.
Once ten stamps were collected the passports were then handed in, and the lucky prize winners picked out of a draw.
Jane Tipler, 59, from Canada Road in Cromer, won the prize draw for Cromer, and will be spending the money on a cruise.
She said: 'I have booked to go on a cruise next year with a friend, and I have been saving every month for that, so the money will help towards that. It is such a lovely surprise.
- 1 Woman says symptom diary could 'save lives' after wait for cancer diagnosis
- 2 Barriers could block mountain bikes from north Norfolk beauty spot
- 3 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 4 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 5 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 6 All you need to know ahead of the Cromer New Year’s Day Fireworks 2022
- 7 Plan for new public loos in north Norfolk get £500,000 boost
- 8 Bereaved families' anger at No 10 staff video joking over Christmas party
- 9 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 10 Duncan Baker MP 'welcomes' investigation into alleged Christmas party
'I had already decided to shop locally for Christmas before hearing about the campaign, I had decided this year not to go further afield to Norwich or London, as there are so many nice shops in Cromer and they have some lovely presents, so the campaign fitted in with what I was already trying to do.'
The North Walsham winner was Nicola Barker, 40, from Norwich Road in the town. She said: 'This is fantastic news as I am planning to take my one-year-old son, Lewis, to Disneyland in May, so the money is going to come in really useful. I have lived in North Walsham all my life and I have always shopped local.'
Jennifer Mold, 71, from Snaefell Park in Sheringham, who won the Sheringham draw, will be giving some of her winnings to an unnamed charity.
She said: 'Our computer has been in difficulty recently, so one of the first things I think we will do is get a new computer and also some little extra gifts for the family.
'I shop locally as much as I can as I really like Sheringham and the service shopkeepers give here.'