Coasthopper bus route re-launched with extra services through north Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
The new Coasthopper bus route in north Norfolk has been re-launched with extended services through Overstrand, Trimingham and Mundesley and on to North Walsham.
The route, which passes through many otherwise isolated rural communities, had looked under threat after operator, Stagecoach East, announced it was slashing its Norfolk routes.
But in March it was revealed Sanders Coaches and King's Lynn-based Lynx would step in to run different parts of the route, which will now connect King's Lynn, Cromer, and North Walsham.
Dr Marie Strong, Norfolk county councillor for Wells, said: 'Having supported the Coasthopper since my first election in 2009 I am delighted it is to continue with Charles Sanders providing a much-needed service not simply for holiday makers but for communities along our coast.
'It continues to operate on a commercial basis and brings considerable economic benefit to the north Norfolk coast.'
Ed Maxfield, Norfolk county councillor for Mundesley, added he was delighted that more communities would now benefit from the extended services.
Charles Sanders, director of Sanders Coaches Ltd, said: 'We are delighted to be able to continue the famous North Norfolk Coasthopper service. Our whole team of managers, backroom staff and drivers are determined to make a success of this popular service and sincerely hope it will sustain itself for many years to come.'
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 4 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 5 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 6 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Cash boost for church campaign backed by Normal for Norfolk star
- 9 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Pauline Catton, Wells town councillor, said: 'You can tell how important it is for the town when the Coasthopper arrives and you see the influx of customers going in the shops.'
And Wells resident Michael Allen added: 'The Coasthopper is most important for people to be able to get to the surrounding villages and the towns on its route.'
Sanders Coaches will run the route from Wells to North Walsham, and this section will still be called the Coasthopper. Lynx will provide the service from Wells to King's Lynn, however this will be called the Coastliner - the name used for the route in 1995.
An online petition to save the route received more than 10,000 signatures, and the re-launch was held in Wells on Sunday, April 29.
For more information about the route and fares visit www.sanderscoaches.com/about-us