North Norfolk leisure centres launch free scheme for kids in care
- Credit: Everything Active
Leisure centres in north Norfolk are set to offer free membership to children in care and young people who have been in care.
Everyone Active, which runs the centres, say they want to reduce barriers between children and young people participating in sport and physical activity.
Stuart Jardine, contract manager, said: “We are immensely proud to launch this partnership in north Norfolk.
"We understand the vital role we play in supporting all areas of the community and feel this membership will make a real difference to many young people’s lives.
“We want to provide opportunities for young people and children who have been in or currently are in care, that activity is for all, and we want to offer them a safe space to enjoy our sports and activity offering.”
The North Norfolk District Council centres involved are The Reef, Fakenham Sports and Fitness Centre, Victory Swim and Fitness Centre, North Walsham Sports Centre, Stalham Sports Centre, Cromer Sports Centre and Cromer Academy Gym.
The scheme gives the youngsters access to a range of facilities depending on their age, including gym, swim, soft play and group exercise.
- 1 North Norfolk village road bridge to undergo repairs after crash
- 2 Pub plans store and Post Office after village's only shop closes
- 3 Road in north Norfolk reopens after man injured in crash
- 4 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 5 Landlord fined £6,000 over excessive cold at rented home
- 6 Bin collection days to change for north Norfolk
- 7 'I lived in one of the most remote places in Norfolk'
- 8 Stargazers' excitement builds ahead of Perseid meteor shower
- 9 Heatwave 2022: National Trust calls for climate action as sites dry up
- 10 Mammoth bone cast brought to coastal 'mini-museum'
Memberships can be set up through a referral system from local council family support teams.
Councillor Virginia Gay, NNDC's portfolio holder for leisure, wellbeing and culture, said: “In our country there are more children than ever in care.
"By making our leisure and sports centres free for these children, we may give them the access to health and fitness that so many other children enjoy.”
According to latest figures from the Department for Education for children looked after (CLA) in England, the number of children in care is at an all-time high, at more than 80,000 children or 67 in every 10,000.
This year, Everyone Active launched its national community health and wellbeing strategy, with the aim to meet the needs of individual communities through programmes that support people to be physically active.
For more information visit: www.everyoneactive.com/about-us/what-we-offer/health-and-wellbeing