North Norfolk District Council’s legal eagles nominated for prestigious law award
- Credit: © ARCHANT NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHIC
A district council's team of legal eagles has been shortlisted for a prestigious law award.
Eastlaw, North Norfolk District Council's (NNDC) legal team, has made it to the finals of the national MJ Achievement Awards.
Hundreds of councils entered and six exceptional legal teams have been whittled down as the finalists in the Legal Services category.
The award recognises and rewards a council legal department which demonstrates exceptional value for money for the council through their contribution and innovation.
Rhodri Oliver, NNDC's deputy leader and cabinet member for legal services, said: 'Eastlaw has succeeded in taking public sector legal work to another level in its approach. Year on year eastlaw has delivered a healthy income for the council – over £85,000 last year. This contribution displays exceptional value for money for rate payers and makes a real difference.
You may also want to watch:
'It is no surprise that the hard work, professionalism and innovation have resulted in the team being shortlisted for this prestigious award. I wish eastlaw all the best for the finals.'
The concept of eastlaw was developed by NNDC's legal team itself, to deliver services both in-house and on behalf of external clients. Eastlaw has been particularly successful in acting as the legal arm of the district council's drive to bring empty homes back into use, in setting up the coastshare group to help charities and other not-for-profit organisations.
- 1 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 2 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 3 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 4 'Truly sorry' - Former rival pays damages to Norfolk MP
- 5 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 6 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 7 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 10 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
Eastlaw is up against teams from five larger local authorities for the ultimate prize, but Emma Duncan, head of legal services, is confident. She said: 'We are a small team but we punch well above our weight.'
The winners of the award will be announced on June 19 and will be presented at a ceremony at the London Hilton Hotel.