Cromer fire believed to have been ‘accidental’
A cliff fire involving bracken and gorse, near Cromer lighthouse, is believed to have been “accidental”.
Twenty applianaces were sent to the blaze yesterday.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) station manager John Baker, said: “We believe this was an accidental fire and no further investigation is planned.
“Two appliances were on site throughout the night damping down. The last one left this morning and we will return to the site every two to three hours throughout the day to make period checks.”
Over the last seven days, NFRS resources have been stretched to deal with a large volume of incidents reaching 100 calls, most of which have been outdoor fires.
Mr Baker added: “Sadly, many of these have been deliberate or caused by reckless actions, such as cigarettes discarded onto combustible items (grass and hay) and open fires being lit and left unsupervised. Please may we ask the public for additional vigilance during this dry weather period, particularly with smoking materials, portable barbecues or fires in the open.
“As a starting point, we would recommend no naked flames outdoors and strongly discourage all of these activities, particularly in open countryside. If portable barbecues are used, please never leave them unsupervised and always extinguish and take them away with you.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.