Parent on touchline racially abused 14-year-old footballer
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk football club has criticised the 'disappointing' punishment given to a parent who racially abused one of its players during a football match.
A Wroxham EJA u15s player received abuse from an opposition supporter - a parent - when his side played a home game against AFC Sudbury in November last year.
After a hearing, the case was proven by The FA and the man was handed a six-week ban from football on Monday, January 27, which will expire on Sunday, March 8.
But the club has voiced its frustration over what it perceives to be a lenient punishment, saying that the sanctions handed out were "not strong enough" and called for The FA to "set an example and show zero tolerance".
READ MORE: We dealt with racist incidents, says former Norwich City media bossIn a Twitter thread, Wroxham u15s said: "Disappointed to have to say one of my u15s was racially abused by an 'adult' from the opposition when we played a game in November 2019. In my opinion, the sanctions handed out were not strong enough.
"But I hope the club who this parent belongs to will hand out a longer ban and try to set an example of the type of person they do not want to be associated with their club.
You may also want to watch:
"The lad in question is fine - he was relaxed about the whole situation and handled himself with dignity and class at the time of the incident and at the hearing.
"Really proud of him."
- 1 Dispute over coastal holiday park plans
- 2 'Travel bible' names Norfolk beaches in list of UK's best
- 3 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
- 4 Cromer Pier to re-open to the public from next month
- 5 Student died after crashing car into a tree, inquest hears
- 6 School to test 150 pupils for Covid a day during March re-opening
- 7 Revealed: how many people have had the Covid-19 vaccine where you live
- 8 'Unsatisfactory and dangerous situation' - Man frustrated by unlit roadwork
- 9 Couple who drove from Hull to Norfolk for a walk among lockdown breakers
- 10 Holkham Estate hiring warden - with tasks to include nudist beach patrol
The club also said that the ban only just covered the return fixture between the two sides, and questioned why the punishment was not in line with some of those given to supporters who have been found to have abused professional footballers.
READ MORE: Seven Norwich City fans arrested for racism in past four yearsOn Thursday, February 6, a 17-year-old Bournemouth fan was handed a three-year banning order through a court and a lifetime ban by the Cherries for chanting racist abuse at a Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur, an incident which also took place in November 2019.
And two Manchester City fans were banned for five years for using racist language in a match between the Citizens and Bournemouth in December 2018.
They too were forbidden by the club from attending matches at the Etihad Stadium.
The FA has been contacted for comment.