Norfolk performers needed for new musical written by Wells teacher
A Norfolk performing arts teacher and choreographer has written a full-scale musical which she wants to take to the West End – and is looking for local performers to fill the roles for the show.
Elizabeth Dark, originally from Australia, has been working in the UK for three years, has fallen in love with the county and now lives in Wells.
She has spent more a year working on Angelis, which is a powerful musical set in 13th-century Northern Ireland and centres on a girl called Osana.
Ms Dark – who teaches at North Walsham High School – is putting on the premiere of the show in January at the Dragon Hall in Norwich and is holding auditions in Norwich and Wells this month to fill the roles.
'I want it to be with people from Norfolk,' she said. 'I could get singers from London, but I love Norfolk and I want to use performers from here. There is so much talent around here.' Ms Dark is looking for singers who can do solos and ensembles. Nine adults – five male and four female – are needed along with three males aged 13-19 and a girl aged 12-15.
The production – which has the BBC presenter David Whiteley as narrator – has a really 'eclectic mix' of music including celtic, folk rock and Latin.
Ms Dark said: 'It is about being human. It is very deep but there are also comic moments.'
- 1 'One in a million' town haberdasher dies at 80
- 2 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 3 Broads bridge in north Norfolk to close this year for roadworks
- 4 Mammoths 'return' to north Norfolk in GoGo sculpture trail
- 5 Have your say: 7 projects that could 'regenerate' Cromer
- 6 Peter Smith: 'The holes in the fabric of our town'
- 7 'A fantastic four days' - North Walsham enjoys return of Funday
- 8 Roadworks and closures to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 9 Sand martins stop cliffside house demolition
- 10 Three-bed barn conversion at Norfolk beauty spot up for sale for £1.25m
She wants to make a 20-minute show reel to take to London and auditions are on Sunday, September 18 at the Dragon Hall, Norwich, 5-9pm, and at the Granary Theatre, Wells, on Sunday, September 25, 11am-5pm.
The website www.angelismusical.com has full details of the auditions. Ms Dark can be emailed at email@example.com