Norfolk disabled people in London film premiere
A talented group of disabled people from Norfolk have travelled to London today to premiere their new film about disability to an audience of famous names at Westminster.
The film, Don't Dis Me I'm Able, is a celebration of disability which has been made by members of the Norfolk Youth Forum for Young Disabled People.
The film is being shown to MPs, peers, celebrities and disability campaigners at Portcullis House today and is the culmination of six months of hard work.
Members of the group, who come from across the county, had no film-making experience at all until the start of the project and after being shown the basics were given the task of putting together a short film which explores the lives and aspirations of their disabled heroes.
It also includes an insight into their own lives as well as featuring interviews with a number of famous faces including former Home Secretary David Blunkett, paralympians Dame Tanni Grey Thompson and Ade Adepitian, actor Matt Fraser and TV presenter Cerrie Burnell.
You may also want to watch:
Caroline Golding, a youth worker at the Norfolk Coalition of Disabled People's Youth Forum, said: 'The messages we've got from the people we went to interview have been really positive and really inspiring just telling it how it is. That's the group wanted to do - just tell the world what it's like for them. Disability is a normal part of life - that's one of the messages we want to get through. There's still a huge fear around disability and I think this film is good because it breaks down some of that fear or at least I hope it will.'
For more details log onto www.ncodp.org.uk/youth-forum.
- 1 Cliff fall warning issued for North Norfolk ahead of Storm Christoph
- 2 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 3 Family butcher and livestock market operator dies aged 74
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 6 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 7 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 8 Hospital gets a brand new MRI machine
- 9 Man who died after falling from cliff took his own life, inquest rules
- 10 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's