NNDC step in to offer support to employees made redundant by Oyster Yacts closure
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
The north Norfolk District council has stepped in to provide support to residents after a key employer in the district has announced they have 'run out of cash'.
Oyster Yachts, which has a site at Hoveton, announced on February 5 that it had been unable to secure financial support to enable it to continue trading.
Chief Executive David Tydeman said on February 6: 'It is with sincere regret that we advise that the company has been unable to secure financial support to enable it to continue to trade at this time and it is looking at all opportunities available. Further information will be issued as soon as we can.'
Oyster Yachts' head office and yard is in Southampton, but it also has sites at Ipswich, Palma in Mallorca, and Newport, Rhode Island.
The district council has now organised a Redundancy Support Day to help those affected by the Wroxham closure.
The day is open to all those staff affected by the news, whether they are the approximately 150 employees of the company or those in the supply chain who have been impacted.
Councillor Tom FitzPatrick, Leader of North Norfolk District Council, said: 'This is a very difficult time for those who worked at Oyster Yachts and those in the affected supply chain.
- 1 Car and front doors opened overnight - but nothing stolen
- 2 See inside this 17th century house with a hot tub and direct beach access
- 3 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 4 Jewellery stolen in Sheringham burglary
- 5 People queue up on new leisure centre's first day
- 6 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 7 Appeal to transform Second World War camp into holiday lets is dismissed
- 8 'Busiest November ever' - Shops and pubs in north Norfolk prepare for Christmas
- 9 Work 'up and running' at site of store destroyed in fire
- 10 Blickling bathed in light in stunning festive display
'The support day will offer professional advice and guidance from a range of experts.
'I would encourage anyone in need of that advice to get in touch and our officers can arrange a suitable time for attendance.'
The event will be held at The Wroxham formerly the Hotel Wroxham, and will be offering advice and support in various areas including benefits, job opportunities, employability, skills support and self-employment.
The event will be held on February 21.
To book a place, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01263 516009 and you will be allocated a time slot.
A letter will be sent to Oyster Yachts so employees can be contacted directly with information about the day.