Remembrance garden will be part of war memorial project in Norfolk village
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
A remembrance garden will be created around a new war memorial at a north Norfolk village.
The work is being carried out as part of Felmingham's commemorations of the First World War, and the final cost of the project will be around £3,500.
The stone will be in place in the churchyard in time for the Bishop of Norwich, the Rt Revd Graham James, to dedicate it on Sunday, August 5 at 9.30am.
For some unknown reason, Felmingham seems to be the only village in the area that doesn't have an external memorial, just a Roll of Honour Board inside the church.
Keith Dally, Priest-in-Charge, United Benefice of King's Beck, which includes St Andrew's, Felmingham, said: 'We decided to landscape the area around the memorial into a remembrance garden. So far, we have raised just over £2,100 and have received generous support from Travis Perkins, which provided materials at a reduced cost, and a resident who is providing the labour free of charge.
'A series of discos have been planned to help boost the funds, the next one being on August 11 in Felmingham village hall at 7.30pm. 'It is hoped that descendants of some of those named on the memorial will be present. We will also welcome the stonemason, Nick Hindle, and representatives of some of the organisations that have funded the project so far.'
The ceremony on August 5 will precede a festival service in the church at 10am to celebrate the flower festival, Echoes of the 20th century, which is taking place from Friday, August 3 to Monday, August 6.
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 3 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 4 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 5 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
- 6 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 7 Two men arrested in connection with string of cooking oil thefts
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 10 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee