New dive boat christened with sauce for maiden voyage
- Credit: Archant
A new Rigid Inflatable Boat (Rib) to be used for diving was christened with a bottle of barbecue sauce because its owners did not want to waste a bottle of bubbly.
The British Sub Aqua Club's East Anglian Branch launched the boat, called Spare Rib, on Sunday, July 29, after buying the six metre Humber Destroyer with a grant from Sport England.
Mike Thomas, club chairman, said: 'Being divers, we didn't want to waste good champagne, so 'Spare Rib' was duly christened with a bottle of the finest barbecue sauce by Charles Barnwell, son of Julian Barnwell, one of our most experienced divers. A hardy group of members and friends braved the strengthening wind and rain to try out the new boat, which handled superbly.'
Philip Bailey and his team at Marine Weld in North Walsham fitted out the boat, which has safety equipment and will enable the club to explore dive sites further offshore. The club visits sites between Sheringham and Caister.
- 1 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 2 New woodfired pizza restaurant could open in Norfolk town
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 5 Book shop partners open new branch for second-hand volumes
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 See inside 'stylish' barn conversion for sale in north Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk man dressed as Henry VIII launches special Jubilee railway
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: Guide to North Norfolk events
- 10 Neighbourhood plan takes another step forward