New dive boat christened with sauce for maiden voyage
- Credit: Archant
A new Rigid Inflatable Boat (Rib) to be used for diving was christened with a bottle of barbecue sauce because its owners did not want to waste a bottle of bubbly.
The British Sub Aqua Club's East Anglian Branch launched the boat, called Spare Rib, on Sunday, July 29, after buying the six metre Humber Destroyer with a grant from Sport England.
Mike Thomas, club chairman, said: 'Being divers, we didn't want to waste good champagne, so 'Spare Rib' was duly christened with a bottle of the finest barbecue sauce by Charles Barnwell, son of Julian Barnwell, one of our most experienced divers. A hardy group of members and friends braved the strengthening wind and rain to try out the new boat, which handled superbly.'
Philip Bailey and his team at Marine Weld in North Walsham fitted out the boat, which has safety equipment and will enable the club to explore dive sites further offshore. The club visits sites between Sheringham and Caister.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 3 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 4 ‘Sore heads this morning’ - North Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 5 'A fantastic success story' - Men's Shed celebrates new premises
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 8 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 9 Success for town's first official scarecrow festival
- 10 Tree planted in memory of Prince Philip