Unique Romany way of life brought to life in legend’s new book
- Credit: Archant
He's a veritable goldmine of Norfolk lore and part of that oral tradition is contained in a new book exploring Romany life in north Norfolk.
The son of a North Walsham horse trader and of proud Romany stock, Mike Harmer's new book is called 'Kaka, Rokker Romany', which literally means 'Hush, speak Romany'.
The 77-year-old grandfather was born in a railway carriage at Spa Common and still lives on the same site in a kair (house) he had built in 1990.
He said: "I have met a fair few folk and a couple of years back I thought it might be worth my while to put pen to paper relating tales of some characters I have encountered.
"Especially as my Romany heritage shines a light on a way of life that has all but disappeared.
"I will be doing some talks at local history groups and hope to have book signings in some of our local bookshops."
In the book's introduction, he says: "Here you will find a collection of tales from my Romany upbringing. Join me on a journey back down old green lanes and wayside commons, to search and explore the exciting world of the old Romanies.
- 1 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 2 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 3 Your say: How would you improve Holt?
- 4 Where and when you can park for free in north Norfolk this Christmas
- 5 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 6 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 7 Sensory tent to feature at lights switch-on
- 8 'I'd throw a massive street party' - Q&A with Tracey Ringwood
- 9 Conservatives gain Lib Dem ward in double by-election victory
- 10 What's in a Broad? Delving beneath the surface of Norfolk's wonderful waterways
"I'll take you into their kingdom, the forgotten past of the old dealers; along with tales of simple country folk and a few odd characters along the way."
The book is now available either from Mr Harmer or through Amazon, and will be for sale in bookshops.
Mr Harmer still runs a reclamation business and a friend he asked to say a few words about the book, added: "He has lived his life by his wits; an honest man, yet a wheeler and a dealer, a ducker and a diver. Storytelling is in his blood.
"Driving around the backroads of Norfolk with Mike you find that each byway, each dwelling has a story attached - where you or I might just see a barren field, Mike sees a landscape populated with human interaction."
He is half way through his next book, provisionally titled 'More Confessions of...'
The book is priced at £9.95, visit www.mikeharmerofnorfolk.co.uk