Should Nelson’s column be knocked down? Historic England tweet sparks furious debate
- Credit: AP
A furious debate has been sparked after one of Britain's leading heritage trusts suggested that one of the country's most iconic landmarks be knocked down.
Historic England tweeted (and has now deleted) a short animated video of Nelson's Column being knocked down with a wrecking ball.
The Trafalgar Square memorial column pays tribute to the north Norfolk born hero, most famous for his success in the Battle of Trafalgar.
Historic England said in their post accompanying the video: 'Revere or remove? The battle over our statues, heritage and history. What should we do with controversial statues and memorials?'
The statue is considered controversial because Nelson was a defender of the slave trade.
You may also want to watch:
What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Thousands of rural homes to benefit from broadband funding
- 8 Dad uses son's ashes in a tattoo on his leg
- 9 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 10 Signalling fault causes delays on north Norfolk train lines