Should Nelson’s column be knocked down? Historic England tweet sparks furious debate
- Credit: AP
A furious debate has been sparked after one of Britain's leading heritage trusts suggested that one of the country's most iconic landmarks be knocked down.
Historic England tweeted (and has now deleted) a short animated video of Nelson's Column being knocked down with a wrecking ball.
The Trafalgar Square memorial column pays tribute to the north Norfolk born hero, most famous for his success in the Battle of Trafalgar.
Historic England said in their post accompanying the video: 'Revere or remove? The battle over our statues, heritage and history. What should we do with controversial statues and memorials?'
The statue is considered controversial because Nelson was a defender of the slave trade.
You may also want to watch:
What do you think? Email email@example.com
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 3 ‘Sore heads this morning’ - North Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 4 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 5 'A fantastic success story' - Men's Shed celebrates new premises
- 6 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 7 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Tree planted in memory of Prince Philip
- 10 Success for town's first official scarecrow festival