Neighbours speak of arson attack at Sheringham flats
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have spoken of watching a dramatic rescue from a block of flats in Sheringham, which is being treated as arson.
Emergency services were called to reports of a fire on Cromer Road, next to the Tesco supermarket, at about 9.50pm yesterday.
Neighbours said a woman living at one of the flats had to be rescued by firefighters down a ladder while another occupant, a man, was able to escape by himself.
Police officers confirmed today that the incident was being treated as arson and a police forensics van is on scene. The area behind the flats is also cordoned off with police tape.
David Berry, who lives in Kimberley Court, opposite the site, said: 'We saw the fire engines, the ambulance and the police cars. They brought a lady down on a ladder.'
You may also want to watch:
Other neighbours also saw the rescue of the woman, who was blonde and believed to be aged between 25 and 30, although they could not describe what she was wearing or how upset she was.
John Baker, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service station manager, said: 'We were called about 9.50pm.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 5 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 6 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 7 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 8 Man taken to hospital after crash near Aylsham
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
'Smoke was issuing from a building and the upstairs windows were open. The fire was in one of the flats.
'We put three appliances on and then added an extra when we were told persons were involved. Crews from Sheringham, Cromer, Holt and North Walsham attended. We put a ladder up to bring down a woman, who was aged between 25 and 30. She was fine.
'A man at the back of the flats had already come out. We believe the lady has gone to stay with parents or relatives. The flats are not inhabitable as they are smoke-logged. No-one was taken to hospital.'
The flats are owned by Tesco and privately rented, while Norfolk County Council's Independence matters is based downstairs at the building, known as Sheringham Community Hub.
Neighbour Sarah Thomas tweeted at 10.29pm yesterday: 'Flats on fire in Sheringham! People being brought out down ladders. Thankfully doesn't look to be anyone hurt.'
The East of England Ambulance Service said they cared for one man.
The fire had been brought under control by 10.50pm.