Neighbour tells of terrifying night her neighbour’s house burned down
PUBLISHED: 12:27 20 February 2018 | UPDATED: 15:54 20 February 2018
A woman has told of the terrifying moment her next-door neighbour’s house burned down.
Wendy Jay, who lives in a semi-detached house in St Margarets Place, Sea Palling, was forced to evacuate after the other home in the building caught fire at around 1.30am on Tuesday, February 20.
Mrs Jay said: “It’s been a night. My son came rushing in and said ‘what’s going on?’
“He opened the window and all these flames were coming out of her (the neighbour’s) house. I went around the side and she was stood there.
“I asked if everyone was out, and she said yes, and I just saw the whole stairs alight.
“We got ourselves and got the dog out, got the cat out in a basket.
“We could just stand there all night until we were allowed back in about 6.30am. The neighbours were absolutely brilliant and brought us tea.”
The occupants of the home which was destroyed in the blaze - a woman in her 50s and her 18-year-old son - were taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation.
Fire engines from Stalham, Martham, Wroxham along with the aerial ladder platform from Great Yarmouth rushed to the road to put out the blaze, but by the time the fire was brought under control the house was already severely damaged.
Mrs Jay, who has lived at her address since 1987, said she felt lucky her house had not also burned down.
Shes said: “I honestly didn’t know whether I was going to come back to my house or not. One of the firemen said five minutes more and this would have gone as well, so we were very lucky.”
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called today (February 20) at 2am to reports of a building fire in Sea Palling.
“An ambulance crew and two rapid response vehicle were sent to help.
“A woman, believed to be in her 50s, was assessed and treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and burns.
“The patient was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital for further care.”
Fire crews wore breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to put out the fire.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.