Neatishead woman in finals of national railway competition
A woman from north Norfolk who has crafted a model of the Flying Scotsman has made it through to the finals of a national competition with her creation.
Allison Bradnock, 46, from Neatishead is one of the 34 finalists in The National Railway Museum in York's model competition which challenged people to make a model of the world famous Flying Scotsman locomotive from any material they could get their hands on.
The 34 selected models have been placed on display in a temporary exhibition at the National Railway Museum. Visitors to the exhibition will be invited to cast their vote for the one they feel is the most deserving of the once in a lifetime prize, to ride in the carriages pulled by the newly restored Flying Scotsman. People can also vote online at www.nrm.org.uk/scotsmancomp, up until June 12.
Mrs Bradnock, who entered the competition under her maiden name of Taylor, got particularly crafty with her entry to the competition using over 40 bits and pieces to create her masterpiece, using felt, sponge, chocolate coin foil and even a jewel to emit a red glow from a small lamp on the engines. She added extra fuel to her model by crafting a miniature breakfast laden shovel, ready to be cooked in the firebox to feed hungry workers.
She said: 'I have had a life-long interest in trains, they are a real hobby, I love visiting railways.'
You may also want to watch:
The winner will be announced in July and the trip behind Flying Scotsman will take place later in the summer. The winner will also receive a prize package containing a Hornby Flying Scotsman train set and a variety of other Flying Scotsman goodies.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 8 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 9 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident