National beach awards ceremony will be held in north Norfolk
- Credit: Mick Webb
North Norfolk has always prided itself on its consistently clean and beautiful beaches.
The district last year had its most successful set of Blue Flag results when it secured six flags at East Runton, West Runton, Cromer, Mundesley, Sea Palling and Sheringham.
And the hard work has paid off, as North Norfolk District Council will this year be hosting the Blue Flags and Seaside awards ceremony.
The awards recognise the top tier of English beaches and are given out only to those sites that have the highest quality of water, facilities, environmental education and management, with superb levels of cleanliness and safety.
Councillor John Lee, Leader of NNDC, said: 'The Blue Flag is the quality mark for our beaches and they mean that those visiting them can be sure that they are clean, safe and meet the highest environmental standards, as well as the tough international bathing water quality standards.
'I'm delighted that Cromer will host the Keep Britain Tidy awards event.'
The awards will be hosted on Cromer Pier on May 17.
- 1 'One in a million' town haberdasher dies at 80
- 2 'Rare' blue lobster found by Norfolk fisherman
- 3 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 4 Broads bridge in north Norfolk to close this year for roadworks
- 5 Vandals target Banksy artwork in Cromer
- 6 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 7 Sinkhole delays should be over 'today'
- 8 Holiday let plan for farm's former train wagons
- 9 Mammoths 'return' to north Norfolk in GoGo sculpture trail
- 10 Popular 'cheese with no name' finally gets a name
Councillor Becky Palmer, Cabinet Member for Leisure & Culture, said: 'The fact that winners from around the country will visit Cromer is a reflection of the high standards delivered across North Norfolk's beaches.'
The suggestion that Cromer could host the event was made during last year's Blue Flag ceremony, which was held in Bournemouth.
Allison Ogden-Newton, Keep Britain Tidy's Chief Executive, said: 'Every year the launch of our Blue Flag and Seaside Awards is a chance to celebrate the fantastic beaches around our coastline that are so loved by locals and the millions of tourists who visit them each year.
'We are delighted to be holding this year's celebration event in Cromer and would like to thank North Norfolk District Council for hosting it.'