Mundesley Scout group’s dream of new hut step closer
A Scout group's dream of having a new headquarters is a step closer with work starting on creating a hut.
The scout hut for Mundesley Scouts, situated on the Cromer Road in the village, is finally starting to take shape, with the foundations and outer shell of the building now put in place.
The hut replaces an old and dilapidated building that was there beforehand, and the scouts and their families have taken part in a long-running campaign to get a new building to take its place.
Originally it was hoped to construct an eco-friendly building from straw bales with an earthen roof, but the concept proved to be too expensive.
What has been built in its place is a steel framed building, which, when it is finished, will house toilets, an office, a kitchen and first aid room and some storage space in a loft area.
The first phase of the building, which is being constructed by local builder Ian Gray, has now been completed, at a cost of �50,000 and work has now started on fitting the inside.
The final cost will be around �100,000, so there is still some way for the Scouts to go.
- 1 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 2 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 3 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 4 'We were braced for cancellations' - Hotel bosses on emergence of Omicron
- 5 The village in the path of controversial wind farm cable
- 6 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Christmas market draws hundreds to high street
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 Norfolk still has just one identified Omicron Covid case
Bruce Hogg, chairman of Mundesley Scouts, said: 'Support for this project has been fantastic with grants from many bodies and innumerable sums raised by a variety of fundraising events organised by a whole range of people from Mundesley and beyond.'
When the hut is up and running, it is hoped that it will be used buy groups outside the Scouts and become a community centre.