Mundesley care home chef cooks her way through regional final
A Mundesley care home chef was named as one of the best in the region at a national award heat in Norwich.
Deborah Wright, who works at the Munhaven Care Home in Mundesley was named as runner up in the regional heat of the National Association of Care Catering National Care Cook of the Year awards.
The 47-year-old who has worked at the home for four years also won the best dessert prize at the Midlands regional final of the competition at Norwich City College.
Mrs Wright is also well known in her role as North Norfolk Division Commissioner with Norfolk Girl Guiding.
She was one of four cooks from Norse Commercial Services who work in care homes across the county who made it into the last six.
You may also want to watch:
As well as Mrs Wright, Marie Paul, who works at Robert Kett in Wymondham, Alan Deri who works at Laburnum Grove in Thetford and Ian Willis who is a mobile cook at various homes in Norfolk, cooked their best meals.
Each cook had to produce a main course and pudding for four people on a budget of �1.30 per head.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 5 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 6 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 7 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 8 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
Mrs Wright cooked belly of port with potato and celeriac mash with baby carrots and rosemary and apple crisps with gravy. For dessert she made peach and raspberry meringue roulade.
'I have always been in catering but I wanted to care for people through my food. Meal times are the highlight of their day.'
She said that she tried to cook nutritional meals with themes.
The regional winner of the competition was Malcolm Shipton from Nottinghamshire County Council he will go on to a national final.
Nick Smith, catering operations manager for healthcare at Norse said: 'These people are working in care homes for vulnerable people. Nutrition is hugely important to them. It improves their quality of life. Meal times are the highlight of the day for a lot of them.'