Norfolk book sale aims to go out with a £75,000 bang
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of the Morston Book Sale are hoping to top a fundraising target of £75,000 for the charity Friends of Morston Church (FMC) by the end of this year's three-day event.
FMC treasurer Rob Metcalfe said: 'This will be the tenth, and last of our huge annual book sales.
'By the end of last year's sale we had raised over £62,000, so with a fair wind we should hit our target.'
The Morston Book Sale has become a regular pilgrimage destination for book-lovers on the first May bank holiday weekend of each year.
Tens of thousands of second hand books will be on sale again in 2019 and the popularity of the event has grown annually since the first sale in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Metcalfe added: 'We have had books donated from all over Norfolk and far beyond, and they have been arriving in vast quantities throughout the year.
'The event has become so big that we have decided that 2019 will be the last annual event on this scale. We intend to hold smaller sales and pop-up events at other times during the year instead.'
- 1 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 2 Town council move to ban plastic crab lines from Cromer Pier
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 North Norfolk home with sea views and cafe for sale for £525,000
- 5 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 6 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 7 Young cricketer sets sights on national success
- 8 Joy as classic diesel loco gets back on the tracks
- 9 Roll up, roll up as circus hits north Norfolk coast
- 10 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
All of the money raised by the book sale is used for the preservation of Morston's All Saints' church, parts of which date back to the 13th century. 'There is always something needed to maintain the church,' Mr Metcalfe added, 'and work has just been completed to replace the chancel roof, much of which was funded from proceeds of the book sales.'
The Morston Book Sale is open from 10am to 5pm on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, May 4-6, at Morston Barn, NR25 7AA. Admission is free, there is ample parking and refreshments are served throughout the event. All books are half price on Bank Holiday Monday.