Big turnout expected at meeting as future of abandoned boats on Norfolk staithe is debated
- Credit: Donna Plumpton
A meeting tonight could determine the future of abandoned boats at Stalham Staithe in north Norfolk.
Earlier this year calls were made for boats to be moved on and many angry residents subsequently attended a Stalham Town Council meeting to express their views.
Bob Sayers, a spokesman for the group, said: "These meetings are normally not attended by members of the public, but they were determined to have their say.
"During a very heated meeting it was eventually agreed that a multi-agency meeting would be convened between all interested parties to establish a legal procedure to finally remedy the problem.
"There is intense local anger regarding derelict boats and the long-term obstruction of moorings at Stalham Staithe.
You may also want to watch:
"Apart from the eyesore caused by one boat in particular, the blocking of 24-hour mooring places is having a significant effect on local businesses, due to visitors and holidaymakers being unable to moor-up and utilise the facilities in Stalham town."
The town council is meeting tonight, Monday, July 8, at Stalham Town Hall at 7.30pm.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 5 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 6 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 7 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 8 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
Mr Sayers added: "The agenda for this meeting suggests that the multi-agency meeting has now taken place.
"It is likely that a greater number of local residents will attend, with an expectation that the council has arrived at a solution."
Some of the abandoned boats on the Staithe have been there for nearly a year with one, in particular, almost a wreck.
The town council put up 24-hour mooring signs at the site, and a spokesman said the authority had sought legal advice as to the ownership of the land.