Big turnout expected at meeting as future of abandoned boats on Norfolk staithe is debated
- Credit: Donna Plumpton
A meeting tonight could determine the future of abandoned boats at Stalham Staithe in north Norfolk.
Earlier this year calls were made for boats to be moved on and many angry residents subsequently attended a Stalham Town Council meeting to express their views.
Bob Sayers, a spokesman for the group, said: "These meetings are normally not attended by members of the public, but they were determined to have their say.
"During a very heated meeting it was eventually agreed that a multi-agency meeting would be convened between all interested parties to establish a legal procedure to finally remedy the problem.
"There is intense local anger regarding derelict boats and the long-term obstruction of moorings at Stalham Staithe.
You may also want to watch:
"Apart from the eyesore caused by one boat in particular, the blocking of 24-hour mooring places is having a significant effect on local businesses, due to visitors and holidaymakers being unable to moor-up and utilise the facilities in Stalham town."
The town council is meeting tonight, Monday, July 8, at Stalham Town Hall at 7.30pm.
- 1 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 2 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 3 Excitement as heritage railway's 1940s weekend returns
- 4 'The ultimate challenge' - The man building a boat to beat a world record
- 5 North Norfolk nostalgia: Sheringham Splash in the 1980s and 1990s
- 6 Delays expected on A149 due to roadworks
- 7 Hundreds of noisy neighbour complaints in North Norfolk during pandemic
- 8 'Being driven inland' - Bus drivers can't afford coast, says company boss
- 9 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 10 Man accused of rape at party told woman 'none of this happened'
Mr Sayers added: "The agenda for this meeting suggests that the multi-agency meeting has now taken place.
"It is likely that a greater number of local residents will attend, with an expectation that the council has arrived at a solution."
Some of the abandoned boats on the Staithe have been there for nearly a year with one, in particular, almost a wreck.
The town council put up 24-hour mooring signs at the site, and a spokesman said the authority had sought legal advice as to the ownership of the land.