Big turnout expected at meeting as future of abandoned boats on Norfolk staithe is debated
- Credit: Donna Plumpton
A meeting tonight could determine the future of abandoned boats at Stalham Staithe in north Norfolk.
Earlier this year calls were made for boats to be moved on and many angry residents subsequently attended a Stalham Town Council meeting to express their views.
Bob Sayers, a spokesman for the group, said: "These meetings are normally not attended by members of the public, but they were determined to have their say.
"During a very heated meeting it was eventually agreed that a multi-agency meeting would be convened between all interested parties to establish a legal procedure to finally remedy the problem.
"There is intense local anger regarding derelict boats and the long-term obstruction of moorings at Stalham Staithe.
"Apart from the eyesore caused by one boat in particular, the blocking of 24-hour mooring places is having a significant effect on local businesses, due to visitors and holidaymakers being unable to moor-up and utilise the facilities in Stalham town."
The town council is meeting tonight, Monday, July 8, at Stalham Town Hall at 7.30pm.
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 3 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 Nail bar owner now planning to open third shop in north Norfolk
- 6 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 7 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 8 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 9 'A coffee shop was a childhood dream' - Q&A with Mel Benns
- 10 Siberian dogs are finding new Norfolk homes thanks to three animal lovers
Mr Sayers added: "The agenda for this meeting suggests that the multi-agency meeting has now taken place.
"It is likely that a greater number of local residents will attend, with an expectation that the council has arrived at a solution."
Some of the abandoned boats on the Staithe have been there for nearly a year with one, in particular, almost a wreck.
The town council put up 24-hour mooring signs at the site, and a spokesman said the authority had sought legal advice as to the ownership of the land.