Manfred Mann singer produces anniversary recording of Mighty Quinn for GoGoHares! project
- Credit: Archant
In the same year Manfred Mann first shook the airwaves with the hit Mighty Quinn, Norfolk-based children's charity Break was just getting started.
And now 50 years on these two golden anniversaries are converging in the most delightful way.
Mike D'Abo, Manfred Mann's lead singer, has joined forces with a small group of artists and musicians to re-record the classic Bob Dylan song to raise money for the charity as part of its GoGoHares! project.
Helen Vinsen, spokesperson for the GoGoHares! team, said they were thrilled with how the recording came about.
She said: 'It started with an artist Samantha Elmhurst, who has created a harlequin-style hare called Hare LeQuin.
You may also want to watch:
'She kept singing the song in her head, and then spoke to her sister Holly, who has connections in the music industry. They realised they knew some people who might interested in doing this song, and one of them was Mike D'Abo. So they went down to see him and had a jamming session it went from there.'
Also involved in the recording were Miguel Montalban on guitar and Mark Ireland on drums, with reworked lyrics by Samantha and Holly Elmhurst
- 1 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 2 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 3 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 4 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 5 100-year-old free town guide launches biggest edition yet
- 6 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
- 7 Man taken to hospital after crash near Aylsham
- 8 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 9 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 10 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
Following the recording, which took place in north Norfolk, people will be able to download the song for a fee, which will go towards Break. Dave Richardson, client relationship manager from Ashton Legal, which is sponsoring the hare, said: 'You never know what adventure is going to unfold when you get involved with a GoGo campaign. With Hare LeQuin, his artist Sam and now one of the gentleman of 1960s pop all playing their part, we are heading towards an amazing summer of fun.'
Michael Rooney, Break's commercial manager, said: 'As a music fan myself, this is exciting for Break to be involved with and we are grateful to Ashton Legal and Samantha for their enthusiasm and support to make it happen.'
Hare LeQuin will be one of 50 hare sculptures around Norwich as part of the GoGoHares! project, with a further 18 'moongazer' hares to go on show around the county. Hare LeQuin will be unveiled at Norwich Puppet Theatre on April 11. The hare has its own Twitter account at @HareLeQuinn