Three people treated after fire at sheltered housing
- Credit: Archant
Three sheltered housing residents were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a flat.
Originally eight fire engines were called to the fire at Bure Valley House, Aylsham, which broke out at around 3.50pm today (Wednesday, March 14).
But some crews were stood down and four teams made up of about 25 firefighters from stations in Norwich, Aylsham and North Walsham put out the fire.
The fire started in the lounge of a man living at the complex, which is sheltered housing for over 55s.
Some residents were evacuated while firefighters took care of the blaze, but others were advised to stay in their rooms as a safety precaution.
You may also want to watch:
John Baker, station manager from North Walsham Fire Station, said: 'Crew members with breathing apparatus went in to a single flat.
'The fire was in a fridge which was in the lounge.
- 1 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month
- 2 Hurricane and Spitfire in the Norfolk sky as heritage centre opens
- 3 Caravan site applies to be able to open during winter months
- 4 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 5 Animal rescue group needs to double volunteer team to meet demand
- 6 Most villagers back military training overhead despite noise
- 7 Four days of fun planned for North Walsham Memorial park
- 8 Pub is back, with new menu and brand, after closure fears
- 9 Town lido among schemes put forward in funding bid
- 10 'A truly affordable home': Teeny tiny abode sold for glamping
'A number of residents remained in their flats due to a 'stay put' policy.
'Crews then used positive pressure ventilation to ventilate the flat and the flats either side.'
At 4.00pm we were called to a fire in Station Road, Norwich, to reports of casualties with suspected smoke inhalation.
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said: 'Two ambulances and a rapid response united attended.
'The crew assessed three casualties with suspected smoke inhalation, and they were taken Norwich hospital for hospital treatment.'