Three people treated after fire at sheltered housing
PUBLISHED: 18:48 14 March 2018 | UPDATED: 13:03 15 March 2018
Three sheltered housing residents were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a flat.
Originally eight fire engines were called to the fire at Bure Valley House, Aylsham, which broke out at around 3.50pm today (Wednesday, March 14).
But some crews were stood down and four teams made up of about 25 firefighters from stations in Norwich, Aylsham and North Walsham put out the fire.
The fire started in the lounge of a man living at the complex, which is sheltered housing for over 55s.
Some residents were evacuated while firefighters took care of the blaze, but others were advised to stay in their rooms as a safety precaution.
John Baker, station manager from North Walsham Fire Station, said: “Crew members with breathing apparatus went in to a single flat.
“The fire was in a fridge which was in the lounge.
“A number of residents remained in their flats due to a ‘stay put’ policy.
“Crews then used positive pressure ventilation to ventilate the flat and the flats either side.”
At 4.00pm we were called to a fire in Station Road, Norwich, to reports of casualties with suspected smoke inhalation.
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said: “Two ambulances and a rapid response united attended.
“The crew assessed three casualties with suspected smoke inhalation, and they were taken Norwich hospital for hospital treatment.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.