Man sentenced for assaulting police officer during friend’s arrest

Mr Blagden was sentenced at Norwich Magistrates Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Mr Blagden was sentenced at Norwich Magistrates Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016

A police officer suffered a suspected fractured wrist when a man refused to let go of a friend officers were trying to arrest in a Cromer pub, a court has heard.

Reece Blagden, 29, was at the Kings Head pub in Cromer when police were called to arrest a friend in connection with other matters.

Blagden, who wanted to know what his friend was being arrested for, 'squared up' to officers before grabbing hold of his friend's arm to try to prevent them from arresting him.

Alan Wheetman, prosecuting, said officers gave 'clear verbal commands' to Blagden to get him to stop but he insisted 'You're not taking my mate'.

Once outside the pub officers continued to try and remove Blagden's arm from his friend but he held on.

During the struggle with Blagden one of the officers got her wrist caught which resulted in a suspected fractured wrist which required hospital treatment and led to the officer being put on restricted duties.

The court heard the injury was later confirmed to be 'a nasty sprain'.

Most Read

Blagden was sprayed with pava in the face by officers, who also withdrew their tasers at one point, took off his jumper and puffed out his chest in an aggressive manner.

He also tried to put his hand in his pocket and told officers he had a knife.

However despite a search no weapon was ever found.

While being put in the prisoner van, Blagden kicked out at the door which rebounded into one of the officers causing him pain.

A victim impact statement read on behalf of the officer who sustained an injured wrist, said it was the first occasion she had received a significant physical injury as a result of doing the job.

While on restricted duties the officer had to pay for her dog to be looked after.

Blagden, of Market Place, North Walsham, appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court on Tuesday when he admitted three counts of assaulting an officer in the execution of their duty on January 21 this year.

He also admitted a further count of obstructing an officer in the execution of their duty on the same date.

Alistair Taunton, mitigating, said his client accepted his behaviour on the day 'left a great lot to be desired'.

Mr Taunton said 'at no stage' did Blagden intend to do any of the officers any injury.

He said Blagden, who is undergoing tests for a heart problem, had consumed a lot of alcohol wanted to know why his friend was being arrested.

Blagden was sentenced to six weeks custody, suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to pay the injured officer £300 in compensation as well as £240 towards her dog sitting bills.

He was also ordered to pay £505 towards costs and a £115 victim surcharge.