Major roadworks ahead at North Walsham
Drivers face a four-mile diversion around North Walsham for the next six weeks, while a 250m stretch of town centre road is improved.Work starts on Monday upgrading traffic islands and resurfacing around the mini roundabout on Grammar School Road.
Drivers face a four-mile diversion around North Walsham for the next six weeks, while a 250m stretch of town centre road is improved.
Work starts on Monday upgrading traffic islands and resurfacing around the mini roundabout on Grammar School Road.
The first three weeks involves work towards the Lidl supermarket, and the second phase, from August 11, towards the Norwich Road bypass traffic lights.
Throughout the £115,000 scheme, the recommended diversion for traffic, including trucks needing to avoid the town's low bridges, takes vehicles on a 4½ mile round trip via Bengate on the bypass near Worstead.
A four-way traffic light system will operate there to allow lorries to swing around a hairpin bend where the Old Yarmouth Road meets the A149, with a 40mph temporary limit leading up to it.
The works will widen traffic islands at the roundabout to increase safety following approaches by local councillor Virginia Gay and a social club for the blind, said a Norfolk County Council spokesman, who accepted that some local drivers would find other routes through the town rather than the official diversion.
- 1 New car boot to take place monthly after early success
- 2 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 3 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 4 Norfolk coastal trek named among best UK pub walks
- 5 Spitfire to soar over north Norfolk for jubilee
- 6 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 7 Obituary: Blacksmith who began career in abandoned cowshed dies at 74
- 8 Will new lease mean a new surface for this pothole-riddled carpark?
- 9 Care home told to improve after concerns over medicines and staff training
- 10 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
On one evening late in the six week period both sections of the road would be shut for the re-surfacing work.