‘Lucky escape’ after fire destroys flat about town centre shops
- Credit: Archant
Witnesses have told of a fire which destroyed a flat above a shop in the centre of a Norfolk town.
The blaze broke out in the residence above Caton's used furniture store in Market Street, North Walsham, at around 4.30pm on Saturday.
Although no-one was reported hurt in the fire, the flames consumed the upper two stories of the listed building and caused smoke and water damage to Caton's and the music and games shop, Disc'N'Dat, next door.
A woman in her 40s lived in the flat with her dog and son, who was not home at the time.
Jon Caton, who has run his shop for 10 years, said: 'Everything happened so quickly, from people in the street shouting fire, fire, and a colleague of mine went upstairs and we got the lady and her dog out.
You may also want to watch:
'She was obviously shocked and in a daze.
'We tried to use our fire extinguishers where the fire was but it was too inflamed by then to do anything.'
- 1 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 4 Excitement as heritage railway's 1940s weekend returns
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Drivers face delays due to temporary traffic lights
- 7 Open for business - new cancer centre accepts first patient
- 8 Caribbean workers helped to save Norfolk's fruit harvest
- 9 Your say - does Aylsham's market need to improve?
- 10 Cromer: gang throw glass bottles at group near beach
Simon 'Tank' Rooney was working at vape shop The Vapologists across the road when the fire broke out.
It was just one of the nearby businesses which were forced to close while crews from Cromer, Mundesley, Stalham, Aylsham stations came to put out the blaze.
MORE: Fire at a property in North WalshamHe said: 'I could see the flames through the window in the flat so I rang 999, and then I could see the man from the kebab shop with a fire extinguisher.
'Then the fire got worse and there were three explosions - they weren't massive - but I thought 'enough is enough' and I shut up the shop.'
Amber Rounce, who also saw the fire, described it as 'unsettling and scary'.
She said: 'There was a loud bang as the windows of the flat exploded and the flames began to leap out of the window and began to sweep upwards with the gusts of wind.'
Mr Caton said he would continue to open while the clean up and repairs were being carried out, but he could not trade as normal as he had no electricity.
He said: 'I will be open but I can't use the till or the card machine.
'No-one was injured and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Whatever happens, we'll get through it.'
Firefighters remained on the scene until after 8pm.
The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed.