Long way across for mayor and policeman
Cromer's mayor and a local constable will be taking a scenic but more painful route to the town's latest twinning trip in Germany.The pair will be peddling from the gem of the Norfolk coast to Nidda, near Frankfurt, to raise money for a youth club at the town's new community hall.
Cromer's mayor and a local constable will be taking a scenic but more painful route to the town's latest twinning trip in Germany.
The pair will be peddling from the gem of the Norfolk coast to Nidda, near Frankfurt, to raise money for a youth club at the town's new community hall.
Leaving a week before other members of the town and biking a gruelling 550 miles, Hilary Thompson and Gary Medler will meet German cyclists in Holland where they land on the continent and travel through Belgium arriving at Cromer's twin town in time for the 10th anniversary celebration.
It is not the first time Mrs Thompson has taken on the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
She completed the trip with her son five years ago after following the example of their German counterparts who completed the trip a number of years ago.
Other Cromer folk will be staying in Nidda with host families during the long weekend from September 4 to 8.
- 1 Revealed: The 10 most expensive villages in Norfolk
- 2 North Norfolk key workers share impact of fuel panic buying
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 5 Steam engine naming ceremony to mark Royal British Legion centenary
- 6 Delays expected on part of A149 during upcoming road resurfacing
- 7 'Very disappointing' - Vandals smash and burn toilets
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Happisburgh's 'relentless' erosion captured in stunning photo essay
Mrs Thompson said that the people in Nidda are very hospitable and it had been a great ten year association.
“We have learnt a lot from each other”, she said.
She also said that the town council were keen to get things going for the youngsters in the town which was the reason that her and PC Medler were doing the bike ride.
To sponsor the pair contact Cromer Town Council on 01263 512254 and if you would like to take part in the twinning trip to Nidda contact Tina Leighton on 01263 511829.