Long way across for mayor and policeman
Cromer's mayor and a local constable will be taking a scenic but more painful route to the town's latest twinning trip in Germany.The pair will be peddling from the gem of the Norfolk coast to Nidda, near Frankfurt, to raise money for a youth club at the town's new community hall.
Cromer's mayor and a local constable will be taking a scenic but more painful route to the town's latest twinning trip in Germany.
The pair will be peddling from the gem of the Norfolk coast to Nidda, near Frankfurt, to raise money for a youth club at the town's new community hall.
Leaving a week before other members of the town and biking a gruelling 550 miles, Hilary Thompson and Gary Medler will meet German cyclists in Holland where they land on the continent and travel through Belgium arriving at Cromer's twin town in time for the 10th anniversary celebration.
It is not the first time Mrs Thompson has taken on the challenge.
She completed the trip with her son five years ago after following the example of their German counterparts who completed the trip a number of years ago.
Other Cromer folk will be staying in Nidda with host families during the long weekend from September 4 to 8.
- 1 Broads bridge in north Norfolk to close this year for roadworks
- 2 More than 20 vendors lined up for town's food festival
- 3 Bogus roofer going door-to-door in north Norfolk village
- 4 Rare chance to travel on historic trains during railway's Vintage Week
- 5 More than 1,000 drivers caught speeding through north Norfolk town
- 6 Council won't say if departed senior officer received a payout
- 7 Three-bed barn conversion at Norfolk beauty spot up for sale for £1.25m
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 9 Sand martins stop cliffside house demolition
- 10 Man in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash in north Norfolk
Mrs Thompson said that the people in Nidda are very hospitable and it had been a great ten year association.
“We have learnt a lot from each other”, she said.
She also said that the town council were keen to get things going for the youngsters in the town which was the reason that her and PC Medler were doing the bike ride.
To sponsor the pair contact Cromer Town Council on 01263 512254 and if you would like to take part in the twinning trip to Nidda contact Tina Leighton on 01263 511829.