Links with the past as chemist's re-opens
More than a century of history was marked yesterday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose built dispensary.
MORE than a century of history was marked on Monday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.
The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose-built dispensary.
But it was also a chance to celebrate the long history of the building at 13 Market Place thanks to a family association stretching back to 1906.
Helping mark the reopening was Michael Ling, who along with his father and grandfather owned the premises for a large proportion of the 20th century.
You may also want to watch:
"It was been a pharmacy for over 200 years," said Mr Ling.
"My family was involved from 1906
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 4 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 7 Sport and TV stars heading to Norfolk for new festival
- 8 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
when my grandfather Ralph Michael Ling bought it."
It was only in the 1970s that the youngest Mr Ling moved to a nearby premises where he specialised in working as an optician, another family business which continues to this day, that the chemist passed out of the family name. However the Ling name lives on in wooden lettering in Boots' front window.
"The extension to Boots is much needed, the town has two pharmacies where it once had three and the population has increased hugely in the last few decades," added Mr Ling.
Store manager Karen King said: "We're delighted to be able to offer even better healthcare services and a fantastic new range of products."