Links with the past as chemist's re-opens
More than a century of history was marked yesterday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose built dispensary.
MORE than a century of history was marked on Monday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.
The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose-built dispensary.
But it was also a chance to celebrate the long history of the building at 13 Market Place thanks to a family association stretching back to 1906.
Helping mark the reopening was Michael Ling, who along with his father and grandfather owned the premises for a large proportion of the 20th century.
"It was been a pharmacy for over 200 years," said Mr Ling.
"My family was involved from 1906
- 1 Food review, The Crawfish Inn, Thursford: ‘Massive value for money'
- 2 Swap shop for women's clothing opens in Cromer
- 3 Lily, 13, 'excited' as first novel hits book shops
- 4 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
- 5 School celebrates being Norfolk's first to gain LGBTQ+ inclusion award
- 6 Ziggurat in pub's deer park could stay for good
- 7 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 8 Weather warning as strong winds set to hit parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 New boss hopes to put his own stamp on Sheringham cafe
- 10 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
when my grandfather Ralph Michael Ling bought it."
It was only in the 1970s that the youngest Mr Ling moved to a nearby premises where he specialised in working as an optician, another family business which continues to this day, that the chemist passed out of the family name. However the Ling name lives on in wooden lettering in Boots' front window.
"The extension to Boots is much needed, the town has two pharmacies where it once had three and the population has increased hugely in the last few decades," added Mr Ling.
Store manager Karen King said: "We're delighted to be able to offer even better healthcare services and a fantastic new range of products."