Links with the past as chemist's re-opens
More than a century of history was marked yesterday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose built dispensary.
MORE than a century of history was marked on Monday at the opening of a revamped chemist in North Walsham.
The refit will help customers at Boots with its extended range of products and a new purpose-built dispensary.
But it was also a chance to celebrate the long history of the building at 13 Market Place thanks to a family association stretching back to 1906.
Helping mark the reopening was Michael Ling, who along with his father and grandfather owned the premises for a large proportion of the 20th century.
You may also want to watch:
"It was been a pharmacy for over 200 years," said Mr Ling.
"My family was involved from 1906
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 3 ‘Sore heads this morning’ - North Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 4 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 5 'A fantastic success story' - Men's Shed celebrates new premises
- 6 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 7 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Tree planted in memory of Prince Philip
- 10 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
when my grandfather Ralph Michael Ling bought it."
It was only in the 1970s that the youngest Mr Ling moved to a nearby premises where he specialised in working as an optician, another family business which continues to this day, that the chemist passed out of the family name. However the Ling name lives on in wooden lettering in Boots' front window.
"The extension to Boots is much needed, the town has two pharmacies where it once had three and the population has increased hugely in the last few decades," added Mr Ling.
Store manager Karen King said: "We're delighted to be able to offer even better healthcare services and a fantastic new range of products."