Lifeboat Cup games forced away from home
An historic charity football cup has had to switch grounds for some of its games for the second year running.Last year it was vandalism that caused problems for the Cromer Lifeboat Cup.
An historic charity football cup has had to switch grounds for some of its games for the second year running.
Last year it was vandalism that caused problems for the Cromer Lifeboat Cup. This year it is a fixture backlog caused by the bad weather.
The tournament has been running for 105 years and generates �2,000 to �2,500 each season for the life-saving charity.
Last season eight matches were moved away from its traditional Cabbell Park home after vandalism to the clubhouse, saw a �400 drop in income.
This season the same number of games were also being switched because the host club was trying to catch up with postponed games, said organiser Derek Hinds.
'For the second year running, Holt Sports Association and Runton Playing Fields Association have come to the rescue to enable this competition to continue and our thanks go out to them,' he added.
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 3 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 4 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 7 Students get set for A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 8 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 9 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 10 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
The first round matches will take place on the next four Monday nights starting on February 22 under floodlights at Holt, kicking off with Cromer Veterans v Corpusty at 6.45pm.
The four quarter finals will take place at Runton, and it was hoped the semi finals and final, on Bank Holiday Monday May 3, would be at Cabbell Park.