Library celebrates Black History Month
- Credit: Archant
Cromer library is celebrating Black History Month with an exhibition featuring a trio of paintings by Jamaican-born artist Danny Keen and a family event with songs, stories and dance from the Caribbean.
Mr Keen, who lives at Gresham, has been a member of Norfolk Black History Month committee since 2011 and first teamed up with north Cromer, Stalham and North Walsham community librarian and fellow artist Maria Pavledis to stage a jazz and art event to mark the annual celebration four years ago.
'Black history is all around us and you don't have to look far in Norfolk to find it,' he said. 'And, although people often thing of slavery and hardship, we want Black History Month to be about celebration and enjoyment.'
A Karate black belt and former wrestler, the artist, who, as a four-year-old was brought to England by his aunt in 1952, said his paintings were influenced by his passions for martial arts and healing therapies.
'When people look at them, I want them to feel joy, wellbeing and fascination, and for them to see whatever they want to see in them,' he added.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Paveledis said Black History Month events had been popular at Cromer library, attracting people of all ages, from children, to grandparents.
'What we want to do is to reach out to families in celebratory way,' she added.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 3 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 6 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 7 Lifeboat crews called to help sinking fishing boat off Norfolk coast
- 8 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 9 New golfing trophy named after club stalwart
- 10 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
Tryptych, by Danny Keen, is on show at Cromer library until October 31. Calypso Carnival, a family event featuring Caribbean songs, dance and stories with Caspar James, is at Sheringham library from 10am-11am on October 22 and at Cromer library from 1pm-2pm on the same day. To book a place, phone 01263 512850.