Liberal Democrat MP Norman Lamb backs Conservatives to win snap election
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
North Norfolk's Liberal Democrat MP, Norman Lamb, says there is no doubt the Conservatives will win the snap general election this summer.
However, he confirmed he intends to stand again for his seat after Prime Minister Theresa May announced she would be taking the country to the polls on June 8.
Mr Lamb revealed he would be 'amazed' if anyone could be found to back Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and insisted now was the time for the LibDems to bounce back.
He said: 'I trusted the prime minister when she said so many times that this [election] would not happen. This is an acutely political act by the Conservatives.'
But he added: 'There is no doubt the Conservatives will win the election, and I would be amazed if you can find anyone who says Jeremy Corbyn can win.
You may also want to watch:
'I think the question now is how do we have an effective opposition which will be critical in holding the Conservatives to account.'
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 3 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 4 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 7 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 8 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 9 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 10 Cromer florist 'delighted' as new business flourishes