Liberal Democrat MP Norman Lamb backs Conservatives to win snap election
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
North Norfolk's Liberal Democrat MP, Norman Lamb, says there is no doubt the Conservatives will win the snap general election this summer.
However, he confirmed he intends to stand again for his seat after Prime Minister Theresa May announced she would be taking the country to the polls on June 8.
Mr Lamb revealed he would be 'amazed' if anyone could be found to back Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and insisted now was the time for the LibDems to bounce back.
He said: 'I trusted the prime minister when she said so many times that this [election] would not happen. This is an acutely political act by the Conservatives.'
But he added: 'There is no doubt the Conservatives will win the election, and I would be amazed if you can find anyone who says Jeremy Corbyn can win.
'I think the question now is how do we have an effective opposition which will be critical in holding the Conservatives to account.'
- 1 Bid to change use of north Norfolk B&B to residential home
- 2 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 3 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 4 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 5 Dog bans could be extended at north Norfolk parks
- 6 Siberian dogs are finding new Norfolk homes thanks to three animal lovers
- 7 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 8 'A great escape' - How a Norfolk webcam helped a Canadian couple endure lockdown
- 9 Free trees on offer at country park event
- 10 Security fears raised over Badersfield asylum seeker plan