Liberal Democrat MP Norman Lamb backs Conservatives to win snap election
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
North Norfolk's Liberal Democrat MP, Norman Lamb, says there is no doubt the Conservatives will win the snap general election this summer.
However, he confirmed he intends to stand again for his seat after Prime Minister Theresa May announced she would be taking the country to the polls on June 8.
Mr Lamb revealed he would be 'amazed' if anyone could be found to back Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and insisted now was the time for the LibDems to bounce back.
He said: 'I trusted the prime minister when she said so many times that this [election] would not happen. This is an acutely political act by the Conservatives.'
But he added: 'There is no doubt the Conservatives will win the election, and I would be amazed if you can find anyone who says Jeremy Corbyn can win.
You may also want to watch:
'I think the question now is how do we have an effective opposition which will be critical in holding the Conservatives to account.'
- 1 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 2 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 3 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 4 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 5 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 6 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 7 Town's skatepark finally reopens
- 8 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 9 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 10 'Proud to be a Cromer fisherman' - Tributes paid to Norfolk stalwart