Liberal Democrat MP Norman Lamb backs Conservatives to win snap election
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
North Norfolk's Liberal Democrat MP, Norman Lamb, says there is no doubt the Conservatives will win the snap general election this summer.
However, he confirmed he intends to stand again for his seat after Prime Minister Theresa May announced she would be taking the country to the polls on June 8.
Mr Lamb revealed he would be 'amazed' if anyone could be found to back Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and insisted now was the time for the LibDems to bounce back.
He said: 'I trusted the prime minister when she said so many times that this [election] would not happen. This is an acutely political act by the Conservatives.'
But he added: 'There is no doubt the Conservatives will win the election, and I would be amazed if you can find anyone who says Jeremy Corbyn can win.
You may also want to watch:
'I think the question now is how do we have an effective opposition which will be critical in holding the Conservatives to account.'
- 1 'It all turned out well' - town sparkles as Christmas lights switched on
- 2 Strong winds batter coast - but fears of flooding avoided
- 3 Front door set on fire during early morning arson attack in village
- 4 Dead sperm whale washes up on Norfolk coast
- 5 Community group asked to clarify where legal damages paid by council will go
- 6 'If they move us to tier one we'll open' - businesses prepare for tier two restrictions
- 7 Housing group scoops award for affordable scheme
- 8 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 9 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 10 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?